The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the MLK weekend, we decided to rip it up at the Imperial Sand Dunes (ISDRA), so I got a wild hair and wanted to see how my truck would do with the new goodies on my Aggressive Tow tune pulling my 12k lb trailer. Long story short-I was VERY pleased. For this trip, the gross of my truck and trailer was roughly 18k lbs, it was about 75* ambient temperature and while there are only 2 "real" hills (Mohawk mountain and Gila mountains) between Phoenix and ISDRA, it handled them both quite well. I won't post the whole datalog, but below are my average and peak readings.

Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 175*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1200*; 1350* peak
EOT's were 216*; 239* peak
ECT's were 209*; 225* peak
ICP was 2141psi; 4061psi peak

Peak temps were recorded pulling the 2 mile 6% grade through the Gila mountains with the pedal to the floor. It didn't help that I was passing a similarly equipped 03 F-250 with about the same size trailer with Banks stickers plastered all over it. It was priceless to see his face as I cruised passed him... I can only imagine his complaint to his Bank's dealer when he got back home!!! When I crested the hill, I was down to 62mph, which is about a 10mph increase over my stock turbo setup!

I believe that despite running a hotter tune (which hasn't been tweaked for my new turbo), my BulletProof Diesel oil cooler worked EXTREMELY well at keeping the temps in check as did my new turbo. I would imagine that if I got my aggressive tow tune tweaked to match the new airflow, I could improve the EGT's while cruising and perhaps keep the oil a touch cooler. I guess I could always run my "standard" tow tune which runs cooler temps yet, but what fun is that?

·
855 Posts
Not to get off subject but seeing those EOT and ECT numbers made me feel a lot better about the numbers I have seen from the last time I pulled my Camper. Thanks for the data.

·
2,126 Posts
1200 degrees continued?

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, 1200* sustained. Other than it super heating the oil, it should be able to run that temp indefinitely with no harmful effects.

·
8 Posts
should've

carried on into the mountains west of Imperial Dunes for a real test. If I remember correctly, that run west on 8 into CA. is a climb. Made the run many a time in the late 70's to late 80's from Pendleton to South Texas and back. :txflag

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
carried on into the mountains west of Imperial Dunes for a real test. If I remember correctly, that run west on 8 into CA. is a climb. Made the run many a time in the late 70's to late 80's from Pendleton to South Texas and back. :txflag
Yep, it absolutely is a climb, but that's a bit too far out of the way. We were just going to spend the weekend playing in the sand. :thumbsup

·
855 Posts
:whs

·
3,051 Posts
The Powermax most definitely needs custom tuning for it to work correctly. Once the tuning is dialed in it works awesome.

Harry

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats not safe IMO especially on a 6.0
Please share with the class why you think that isn't safe. Also, please tell us the "safe" towing EGT temperature.

·
3,051 Posts
A friend of mine has an 06' tow boss 6.0. He tows very heavy, around 28k combined gvw. He's told me he runs 1200 all day long with a tow tune from Innovative. But since he blocked off his egr cooler, his egt's dropped to 1100 range. I think you are ok at the 1200 range, in fact some of the 6.4's run much higher than that sustained. Now if you are running 1350 sustained, then I would worry. The important thing is to let the turbo cool down after running hard before shutting the engine down.

Harry

·
I Wanna Go Fast!
4,006 Posts
6.0 heads are prone to crack..its nearly inevitable. so heat soaking them at 1200 degrees is just increasing the chance of cracking heads and blowing head gaskets. if i was towing i would not want to see over 1050 sustained
that is what my truck would run or cooler with stock charger 36" tires stock gears and a agressive tow tune. To me thats too high but each there own..these motors arent as bullet proof as the 6.4's so i cant see comparing the two

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, Harry. I absolutely let the turbo cool down before shutting off the engine.

Brent, What part are you suggesting would be bulletproof over the 6.0L? The 6.4's have just as many problems, from radiator's cracking due to over-pressurization to fuel dilution of the oil.

BTW, I would absolutely guarantee that I have cracks in my exhaust valve seats. Anybody who is running higher cylinder pressures than stock would have them due to advanced timing and higher sustained EGT's. In addition, my heads have been holding for 70k miles with the ARP's. I am reasonably sure that if they are done correctly, the heads will hold for a long time. When they start losing compression, I will likely upgrade to new heads with hardened valve seats. :D

I can reduce the EGT's a bit by having the tuning adjusted for the increased airflow of the PowerMax and then I will datalog that same trip (probably for President's Day weekend) for comparison purposes.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Well, for starters aluminum melts at just over 1220° (google it). That says that if you run long and hard at full throttle, you could melt holes in the pistons. It has happened more than you know. A few minutes at 1200° doesn't seem to hurt any thing. It is YOUR motor!

Dave

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
I pull my 11K 5th wheel with my race tune from Matt at Gearhead and barely see over 900 degrees and just a little over 1100 degrees when running hills. Trans never gets hot and runs great.

·
683 Posts
Peak temps were recorded pulling the 2 mile 6% grade through the Gila mountains with the pedal to the floor.
Do you recall your engine RPM?

·
23 Posts
i have a powermax with stock injectors and pull about my max 11K. Lugging the engine will get the temps up quick. When I am pulling a long hill all I have to do is press the go fast pedal just enough for the trans to down shift and my egts drop back down under 1000. I have Erics tunes and I run a lot less boast then with stock. I think the powermax has been the best investment to my truck. Now the bad with the powermax. It is loud even with a muffler. Just my 2cents.

·
377 Posts
i have a powermax with stock injectors and pull about my max 11K. Lugging the engine will get the temps up quick. When I am pulling a long hill all I have to do is press the go fast pedal just enough for the trans to down shift and my egts drop back down under 1000. I have Erics tunes and I run a lot less boast then with stock. I think the powermax has been the best investment to my truck. Now the bad with the powermax. It is loud even with a muffler. Just my 2cents.
Talk to eric and he will change the tune to get the down shift how you like it. I will be doing that soon.

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got some updated tunes from Matt @ Gearhead just before the trip in order to match up to the airflow of the PowerMax turbo. I called him at the last minute and not only did he take care of me, but he sent me tunes within the hour. Because I dropped the ball and called him last minute and he agreed to take care of me, I made sure to take care of him as well. ;) I am VERY HAPPY with my current setup. It was good before and now it is GREAT!

BEFORE (DJ Aggressive Tow)
GCVW=18k lbs
Ambient air temp=75*
Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 175*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1200*; 1350* peak
EOT's were 216*; 239* peak
ECT's were 209*; 225* peak
ICP was 2141psi; 4061psi peak

AFTER (Gearhead 8k Tow)
GCVW=20k lbs
Ambient air temp=65*
Vehicle speed was 75mph
Tranny temp was 165*; 185* peak
EGT's were 1050*; 1300* peak
EOT's were 202*; 225* peak
ECT's were 203*; 223* peak
ICP was 1621psi; 4041psi peak

Simple comparison of the before to after, the truck seems to come alive right away. The turbo spools MUCH quicker and it feels like it has more power. I was 2k heavier than before and still had about the same top speed at the top of the hill in Yuma. Not only does it feel like it has more power, it doesn't seem to have to work as hard to maintain the power (look at my average ICP and you can see evidence of that). Another thing is that the shifting was PERFECT! I am a stickler for that since I have spent quite a bit of time working with DJ to get my shifting just right on my old setup. It was awesome that Matt was able to nail it the first time right out of the box. I was a bit concerned that the 8k would run too hot for me (and it will be when we hit summertime temps) but it was perfect for the wintertime towing duty to the sand dunes.

Reactions: harry6.0
1 - 20 of 25 Posts