The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 07 that replaced an 04. Everything is stock except for a k and n air filter. Changed oil and fuel filter last Thursday along with the passenger side headlamp. I opened the air filter box thinking it would give me more hand room, wrong. Everything is good until last Friday heading home from work up the Manchester bridge entrance ramp to I-610 over the channel and "engine at reduced power" message. Topped the bridge and everything is good, punched it and away we go 75mph plus. Went to orielly and reset the truck Saturday. Got a mass air flow reading. Heading home yesterday and BAM, same thing. Everything is good when I level out on top of the bridge, hit 85 mph plus on the way home. The engine light is still on but the truck runs as normal. Any suggestions?

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Sorry to say its the K&N air filter. Either some dust, water or oil has gotten around the filter and has landed on the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry to say its the K&N air filter. Either some dust, water or oil has gotten around the filter and has landed on the MAF sensor.
Yup, sounds the same to me. Remove your maf and clean it off. I have used brake clean spray in the past but some say it hurts it. I've never had a problem though.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
The K&N are notorious for letting through dust which clogs the MAF sensor, its due to the dust mixed with the K&N's oil and it sticks to everything..... my suggestion, get rid of your K&N and put the stock airbox back on, the stock unit flows as good or better, and is more efficient at stopping dust particles, and the stock filter will hold more dust before its efficiency drops off

Do the PPE airbox mod and you will be much better off than with the K&N, i will never put a K&N on my truck, they just aren't reliable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Can you believe the kandn filter was cheaper than the oem? Remember the headlight part where I opened the filter box trying to get my fat hand in there to replace the bulb? Well I looked in there today and I did not get the filter back into place, 1/2 inch gap. It was my fault, sipping whiskey while working on the truck. Put the filter into place and reset the code. I'll keep ya"ll posted. I really like this truck, only problem so far is the back tires lose tread un proportional to the front tires. I love keeping up with and leaving the 3k# imports here in yuppieland.

·
3,939 Posts
mblue....sounds like a University of Michigan name. Where is Mich are you?

Glad to hear the truck is back up and running well.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
The K&N are notorious for letting through dust which clogs the MAF sensor, its due to the dust mixed with the K&N's oil and it sticks to everything..... my suggestion, get rid of your K&N and put the stock airbox back on, the stock unit flows as good or better, and is more efficient at stopping dust particles, and the stock filter will hold more dust before its efficiency drops off

Do the PPE airbox mod and you will be much better off than with the K&N, i will never put a K&N on my truck, they just aren't reliable
Sorry Aaron but I have to disagree. I've run K&Ns for years in multiple vehicles and have never had a problem. I also know a lot of people that have run them as well with no problems. Every time i've seen or heard of a problem with one its because of user error. Too much oil on cleaning, improper install, etc...

Thanks for the replies. Can you believe the kandn filter was cheaper than the oem? Remember the headlight part where I opened the filter box trying to get my fat hand in there to replace the bulb? Well I looked in there today and I did not get the filter back into place, 1/2 inch gap. It was my fault, sipping whiskey while working on the truck. Put the filter into place and reset the code. I'll keep ya"ll posted. I really like this truck, only problem so far is the back tires lose tread un proportional to the front tires. I love keeping up with and leaving the 3k# imports here in yuppieland.
I rest my case...

No offense meant to anyone, mistakes happen.

:happymugs

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
i have a K&N on my Capri, its a great filter, just too many horror stories on forced induction engines for me to want to put one on my vehicle, im happy you have had success with yours, but i would look into S&B or AFE before K&N on my truck, both were designed with diesels and forced induction in mind, K&N took its same original filter design and made it work for a diesel

too many "i dusted my turbo" or "my MAF sensor was dirty" after installing a K&N for me to ever want to get one..... lots of flow on a gas engine is great because they dont create vacuum against the filter like a turbo does

besides the factory Donaldson powercore collects more dust, flows as well, and is efficient up to 98% dust holding capacity, and it filters finer than the K&N, why would you change it? cost? hmmmm a dusted turbo sounds more expensive to me......

Sorry Robert, I have to disagree with you :thumbsup, but thats just my opinion :happymugs

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
i have a K&N on my Capri, its a great filter, just too many horror stories on forced induction engines for me to want to put one on my vehicle, im happy you have had success with yours, but i would look into S&B or AFE before K&N on my truck, both were designed with diesels and forced induction in mind, K&N took its same original filter design and made it work for a diesel

too many "i dusted my turbo" or "my MAF sensor was dirty" after installing a K&N for me to ever want to get one..... lots of flow on a gas engine is great because they dont create vacuum against the filter like a turbo does

besides the factory Donaldson powercore collects more dust, flows as well, and is efficient up to 98% dust holding capacity, and it filters finer than the K&N, why would you change it? cost? hmmmm a dusted turbo sounds more expensive to me......
Sorry Robert, I have to disagree with you :thumbsup, but thats just my opinion :happymugs
LOL wise guy....

My 97' and my 03' both have K&N intakes on them. The main reason being cost and efficency increases.

At school we did a bunch of flow tests on a ???? machine (I cant for the life of me remember whats it was called, but it test flow charateristics and dirt contamination) and in each test the K&N flowed and filtered better. After seeing these tests with my own eyes (not just a 'study' some company was paid to do) I will stick with K&N. Dont get me wrong, the stock filter is great, but I like only having to buy one filter and cleaning it once a year. I must admit, I did notice more of a performace increase on my 97' but at least I dont have to worry about upgrading the intake later on my 03'. :haha

On a side note, every time I clean the filters I do the old 'white glove' test on the inside of the intake, not once have I had dirt, in any amount. I've also never had a MAF sensor go bad or trip a 'check engine' light, in any vehicle, ever.

So my friend, I respectfully disagree with most of your post. But we do agree to disagree. :happymugs

·
3,939 Posts
Sorry Aaron but I have to disagree. I've run K&Ns for years in multiple vehicles and have never had a problem. I also know a lot of people that have run them as well with no problems. Every time i've seen or heard of a problem with one its because of user error. Too much oil on cleaning, improper install, etc...
There was a filter study done many years ago that showed that K&N was one of the worst filters for our trucks. K&N even went to the point of inviting the tester (SPICER) to their factory for a tour where they tried to save face.

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
There was a filter study done many years ago that showed that K&N was one of the worst filters for our trucks. K&N even went to the point of inviting the tester (SPICER) to their factory for a tour where they tried to save face.

http://duramax-diesel.com/spicer/index.htm
I can only speak from experience bud. And for every test putting a product down, there are as many saying its great. Take that for what its worth.

·
3,939 Posts
Diesels are different from gassers and require different filtration. Not saying your wrong, but to me, a filter study commissioned by a regular person certainly carries more weight than one sponsered by a filter company.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
the 06 and up use a specialized filter which is much improved over the 01-05 flat style filter, its a Donalson PowerCore, which ironically Volant actually sells as an "aftermarket" filter..... if there are companies that sell that same filter as aftermarket, why would i change my stock "aftermarket" filter for something else? I have changed my filter once, the flow indicator was still green, even with copious amounts of dust and debris inside of it, i have logged about 15k miles since then and Its showing no signs of reduced power

You know i had a K&N style filter on my dodge and i saw 0 improvement over the stock unit, Im not saying your wrong Robert, but in my eyes the STOCK filter is a better preforming one than an aftermarket unit
http://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/support/datalibrary/059806.pdf

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
The Filter on my LMM had a lot of debris in it when I got it. We dumped it out and it still is going strong.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I rest my case...

No offense meant to anyone, mistakes happen.

I ran one on my '05-never had a problem. I then put one on my '07 until I switched up to the S&B. No problems with it either. Just need to be careful not to over oil it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts