The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having an issue, metal on metal grinding noise while in 4x4, coming from the front end, only happens when slowing down from speed, once stopped and begin moving again, the sound stops, almost seems like somthing is free spinning/grinding against something... help?

could it be something in the front diff?

never happens while in 2x4, only noticed it recently after touring down some muddy back roads

·
182 Posts
Only thing I can think of is the solenoid in the front end, or maybe one of the automatic hubs. Does it do it all the time when in 4x4?

Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the 4x4 system in these trucks will reply.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there is a low pitch hum, more than the standard 4x4 hum

the sound is the most prominent when slowing down from speed (60mph), only happens when near stopped, and its LOUD, and seems to be louder when the wheels are turned....

heck i didnt even know that there were solenoids in the front diff until today.... lol i just pressed the button and it was in 4x4 :bang LOL

·
182 Posts
check cv boots. do some figure 8's in 4wd. then check joints on front shaft.
Just curious what he should be checking for. Would the bad CV be hot or some other sign that would give it away?

I'd also check the fluid level in the front dif.

·
990 Posts
check cv boots. do some figure 8's in 4wd. then check joints on front shaft.
:whs
i had a wheel speed sensor go out in my 06 gmc and when youu hit the brakes the abs wasn't working and it would make strange sounds while i would slow down. if you have a code reader you could see if thats it cause mine threw a code but no cel sometimes. it was weird. hope you find your problem bud.
good luck
Preston

·
Toyaholic
250 Posts
a bad cv will make noise under load, and usually not while free spinning. check diff level too. also just to make sure, check tranfer level and color of fluid (make sure no silver).

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well what was the out come?
Dude this thread was started in 2009!! haha It ended up that the front diff had split just a little and leaked all the fluid out and chewed the gears a little and cooked the main bearing

Father-in-law and I just pulled it and rebuilt it, kept the same gears and slapped it back in and its been going strong 6 years >:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts