The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am thingign about getting a Keystone Raptor 5Th Wheel Toy Hauler. The toy hauler has a dry weight is 13,600 lbs. I have a 08, F350 SRW, 3.73 Long Box, Diesel. The Ford book says I have a max GCVW of 23,500.
I am going to be very close the the 23,500 ( if nto a little over) when I add the in the 4 wheelers, water in tanks and other gear.

D0 you think, I will be ok with this?

·
2,106 Posts
if you don't get weighed, you'll be fine. But you WILL be over the weight rating. Assuming your truck is a crew cab, it weighs in around 8000 lbs empty, leaving you only 2000 pounds for all your gear.

The towing is not the problems, only the highway patrol/weigh stations dudes that may run ya down.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks I apprciate the advise. I kind knew the answer before I asked, but you confirmed. The problem is I am not got to up grade the truck at this time. I have ot ask weather or not me pullign a 4O ft toyhauler with a F350 SWD will raise red flags ot the highway patrol.

·
2,106 Posts
It could very well draw extra attention from highway patrol.
Also kinda depends on the State you are in and how the highway patrol there treats people. In California, you'd probably get stopped fairly quick. Around here you even get harassed it you have a utility bed (or similar) on a dually and don't have the DOT weight rating sticker on the door.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is not legal in any state for the weight guys to force you to be weighed if you are towing for pleasure.

I also personally don't ever think it is OK to tow x-tra heavy with any single rear wheel truck unless it has 19.5s:goodvsevil

·
2,106 Posts
But they CAN pull you over and look for all kinds of other reasons to ticket you and hassle you. Doesn't matter if it's legal or not it seems like CHP does whatever they want.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
From what I understand is they go by the weight rating of what the plates are registered to not what the manufaturer reccomends on the door sticker.

·
3,533 Posts
Whether it is legal I do not know, But if you have a problem, and hurt someone then, you can be sure that your insurance will be cancelled and you will pay. I have seen a lot of places over the years that would post a sign at the scale saying all vehicles over a certain GVW report to the scale. Just a thought!

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
What is the pin weight of trailer? What is the truck rear weight? What are the tires rated for?

For the most part, you'll likely never get hassled, but there is always that ONE time. Depends on where you are and where you're going. Ten years ago likely wasn't an issue but with as popular as that kind of rig is getting they get looked at more and more.

Check with DMV with licensing. Might have to get truck plates rated for what you will be? Ohio has Non Comm plates, but don't get caught pulling a big trailer with them.

·
7 Posts
I have exactly the same rig as you, '08 F-350 longbed diesel crewcab,(not sure if you said crew cab). I have a 40' (actually 43') Weekend Warrior toyhauler. I had the same concerns you did when I first bought my truck. I can tell you now, after having the truck since April '07 and the trailer since June '07 that I have not had one single problem towing that trailer. I just added airbags a month ago which helped with a bit of sway on bad roads, but I have never had an instance where I thought "I shouldn't be doing this". Pulls great and have passed many Troopers who don't bat an eye (I live in Washington State). I really don't see you having any problems unless you have an over zealous state patrol.

·
2,106 Posts
from what I have heard, Washington is pretty lax about that kind of stuff.

·
7 Posts
You're probably right. Although, I have seen many Troopers in a van with a rig (usually a ratty dumptruck) pulled over with the portable scale out. They don't completely ignore it, they just leave the recreational guys alone.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
In utah I have my truck registed for 26,000 pounds and have never had any hassle in Idaho, Utah, Montana, or wyoming.

·
53 Posts
From what I understand is they go by the weight rating of what the plates are registered to not what the manufaturer reccomends on the door sticker.
Here it is just the exact opposite. Unless you have a certification paper from a registered engineer stating that you have had mods done that now allow the truck to carry more weight, they don't care what you register it for - the door sticker rules.

There are some guys here that register their truck (1/2, 3/4, 1 ton) for 5001KG so that they don't have to get it emissions tested - not that they are saving money, just that they'd never, ever pass the test with the mods they have.
Only have to report to the scales if licensed for 5500KG or more. Recreation trailers here carry their own GVW, anything more than 4600KG (10120 lbs - yeah, we gained an extra 120 pounds of allowance with the conversion to metric) loaded (not licensed) and you need an endorsement (which some actually get).

since it's really hard to find out what the GCVW is (owners manuals go missing and the door sticker doesn't say), they will use the axle weights.

As a general rule of thumb, they won't bother you unless it is obvious... back bumper on the ground, 1/2 ton pulling a 36' anything, etc.

·
3,533 Posts
In utah I have my truck registed for 26,000 pounds and have never had any hassle in Idaho, Utah, Montana, or wyoming.
You can register it for anything you want, but if you have a problem and get in an accident, your insurance will drop you. I was at the boarder, Sumas and there was an inspection blitz going on at the time, they were pulling over every pick-up that had a load on. They found guys with 1/2 tons 5 lug wheels from a car, with huge campers on them going to Alaska. They turned them around and let the Washington police take care of it. They were doing front end inspections, putting them on scales, and checking tires and licencing. I was there for about 2 hours and when I left the line up of vehicles turned around and being processed by the Washington police was about 20 vehicles with post-it notes on the hood. We live in a world of computers and with a scanner they have everything about the vehicle in a millisecond. Just a thought!

·
49 Posts
Hello everyone, I am thingign about getting a Keystone Raptor 5Th Wheel Toy Hauler. The toy hauler has a dry weight is 13,600 lbs. I have a 08, F350 SRW, 3.73 Long Box, Diesel. The Ford book says I have a max GCVW of 23,500.
I am going to be very close the the 23,500 ( if nto a little over) when I add the in the 4 wheelers, water in tanks and other gear.

D0 you think, I will be ok with this?
You'll be over on your CGWR. My 08 F350/tow boss & 35' jayco scaled out at 23,55X with tanks dry. Your truck is lighter then mine but your trailer is heavier. I would bet that you'll still meet your axle weights if you kept your pin weight down.

·
645 Posts
Your F350 SRW will do just fine, I have haul a lot hay and horse trailers (a lot more weight the a toy hauler) in the past with SRW. I have found the best 16" tire to run heavy is a 10 ply 265/75R16 (not a cooper) they are reated for 3400#'s single. I ran the rear axle of my '95 F250 @ 8,000-9,500#'s with a pair of Michelin LTX (I think) for 2 summers and had no blow outs.

I when thew 6 or 7 Cooper ATR tires in a few months, I never blew one after 2-3k miles the side wall would separate by the bead about a 1/4" from the rim.

Don't go cheap with your rear tires.

DOT will not mess with campers or RVs, they do not have "probable cause", unless their is an accident or complaint.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts