The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well truck was doing great today, didnt have a licks bit of problems. all of sudden we started hereing a knok every now and then but it wouldnt be consitent and would only be do it at low rpms and at idel. just had trans gone thou last then 1000 miles ago. even took the chip out to let the trans brake in without all the power going to it. i cant tell if its coming from the trans or the moter and also when its sitting there ideling for 5 mins or so it will start to blow blue smoke like its burning oil. i am clue less. i dont no where to start looking or what to do. please help .......:shrug: :bow:
this is on a 2000 f-350 7.3 with 71,000miles

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well found out what it was. i guess it started off with a bad injector and i couldnt really tell but it lead to a messed up piston. i washed one side of the piston with fuel and i didnt get enough oil so that what was knoking. we are going to drop the oil pan tomorrow and see if we cant get the piston out and look at the cyclinder wall and see if they are messed up. why would a injector go bad at 72,000 miles. in my book thats not very good. i am going to call ford and see if they will do anything about it becouse you shouldnt be having these kinda probs at 72,000 miles. do you have to pull the engine to drop the oil pan or can it just come off?

·
Registered
596 Posts
You have to pull the engine at least up to get the pan off. It's just as easy to pull the whole thing out.

There are lots of reasons for a bad injector. What kind of service does this truck see? Lots of short trips and start/stops, long highway trips, towing? There could be contributing factors from the environment the truck is driven in or you could have just had a bad injector, it's rare but it does happen.

·
112 Posts
It happens. Lots of maintenace issues, ie. oil used and service intervals, poor fuel quality and also the new fuel issue ULSD. I personally have not seen any issues with the ULSD fuel yet, but others have. I always use the new Stanadyne additive with every fill up just incase, but none the less it could just have beeen a bad injector. How did you determine the piston was bad, did you pull the head and look, did you check blow by from crankcase vent?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've seen quite a few pintle springs break in these injectors, almost everyset i've torn into has had at least one. If the break is bad enough it will allow the pintle to hang open and introduce unmetered fuel into the cylinder, this is probably what happened to you. Loosing an oring could have the same result, but seems to be less common, but plausible. Depending on the degree of damage i've got a buddy with a block that's machined and ready to go, a polished crank, and factory forged rods w/pin bushings installed that he's been looking to get rid of since he went w/a cummins half way through his engine build. Hopefully it's not necessary, but let me know we can help get you back on the road w/o spending an arm and a leg.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts