The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a 2010 f350 extra cab, srw, with 3.55 gears and stick shift. I pull heavy loads and want to know if this will work. Pull 14k bumper and 20k gooseneck. Its the gears I am wondering about. Have 7.3 with 4.11 and 6.0 with 3.73 and no problems. But 3.55? I would think with stick and all the power I should be fine but wouldlike to confirm. Thanks

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Looking at a 2010 f350 extra cab, srw, with 3.55 gears and stick shift. I pull heavy loads and want to know if this will work. Pull 14k bumper and 20k gooseneck. Its the gears I am wondering about. Have 7.3 with 4.11 and 6.0 with 3.73 and no problems. But 3.55? I would think with stick and all the power I should be fine but wouldlike to confirm. Thanks
Although I have no experience in this powertrain I'd think you would be at the limit with a 3.55 ratio. Hills and valleys are going to be a strain, (mechanically) if you drive with a heavy foot to maintain speed, (no disrespect meant). I like a 3.73 ratio myself as a balance of power and economy, but consider it marginal if the truck pulls the weight you specify consistently.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Terrain is a big factor in gearing. I see you are from Florida, where it is flat. You should consider where you will be pulling and how often you pull. I have 3.73 and I think they are great gears for everything. Not the best for mileage and not the best for pulling, but they will do.

·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, its flat here. Just looking for someone who has actually pulled heavy with the 3.55 gears to chime in. I have been reading from other forums that it works but it seems to low to me. But I figured the stick shift would have a granny gear to help out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts