The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 F350. Was experiencing problems staring. Will crank but no pressure, little white smoke until it warmed up. Even in summer time temps. If you leave the block heater plugged in, no problem at all. Once warmed up, no issues what so ever. Now. I just had the glow plugs changed thinking I had some that were bad. Problems are still there.

So. What can I do next to troubleshoot and fix. The more I can do myself, I can't put a ton of $$ in this.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
The first thing you need to get is a scanner to find out what codes are in the ECM. I have Autoenginuity, at www.autoenginuity.com. They are not the only people that make GOOD scanners. These trucks are very difficult to fix if you don't have a scanner. Back to your problem, your FICM maybe going. Hard starting is one symptom. Good Luck!

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing you need to get is a scanner to find out what codes are in the ECM. I have Autoenginuity, at www.autoenginuity.com. They are not the only people that make GOOD scanners. These trucks are very difficult to fix if you don't have a scanner. Back to your problem, your FICM maybe going. Hard starting is one symptom. Good Luck!
I'll scan it a 3rd time. Had the dealer ship scan it a week ago. It's not throwing any codes.

·
3,051 Posts
FICM is weak / Bad injector-s / Leaking EGR cooler / These are some possibilities. Dave is correct, without some type of capable diagnostic tool, everything is a guesstimate.

For a relatively inexpensive diagnostic tool that does more than most for a 6.0L. I highly recommend purchasing a ScanGaugeII. Once you code in the 6.0L Diesel X-gauge features into the ScanGaugeII, you can read most all critical data for the 6.0L including fault codes and clearing them if needed.

Having the ability to do cylinder-injector power balance testing requires a more sophisticated device like Dave mentioned...the AutoIngenuity system-program for your laptop, or something like we have at my work, the Autel Maxidas scan-diagnostic tool, both these systems are more costly.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/
http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/ford-specific-xgauges/

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts