The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any articles describing how to install head studs on a 6.0? i was thinking about trying it myself but i'm not sure what i'd be getting into or even what they really do.

·
1,052 Posts
anyone have any articles describing how to install head studs on a 6.0? i was thinking about trying it myself but i'm not sure what i'd be getting into or even what they really do.
There are several threads on this subject. Taking the cab off is the easiest way. I understand it is hard to get to the back of engine.
Bill

·
25 Posts
i did my own in my driveway. it can be done. you need some patience, and a good vocabulary of four letter words. i wrote a little write up on it over on powerstroke.org. i have talked a few guys through it so if you have any mechanical ability, you should be ok. if you want, search my user name over there to have a look at some pics to see what you would be up against.
it is 03ccf350.
clarence

·
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks like alot of work. do you even need these for just having a tune?

·
25 Posts
lots of people dont have studs and run tunes. stock trucks blow headgaskets as well. but i think that if you get an aggressive tune, its only a matter of time. if you get a tune, ask that they write one for you for stock headgaskets and bolts. that way they keep the injection timing below 8 degrees max. 6 is the best for controlling cylinder pressures and still making power.

·
2,106 Posts
Another big thing to remember is to let the truck come up to temperature before romping on it. The head gaskets will like you better for it.

·
343 Posts
Another big thing to remember is to let the truck come up to temperature before romping on it. The head gaskets will like you better for it.
Good point.....that advice is good for any kind of vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts