The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i just bought my first diesel for a very good deal its a 94 7.3idi non turbo automatic 4x4 singlecab...the trans was shifting very hard and the O/D light was flashing and i noticed that every now and then the tach would drop only at idle...so i put a new tach sensor in thinking that would fix it.cleared the codes drove around 20 miles shut the truck off then re started, and now the lights blinking again,hooked scanner up ...scanner said code 65 74 65 74 65 74...what could this be any help is greatly appreciated thanks.ohh and i noticed under the dash the door buzzer was unpluged so i plugged it back in..could this be it?

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
No the door buzzer has nothing to do wit hthe trans.

Your truck has, from your description, the E4OD trans. This is a electrically modulated, hydraulically controlled transmission. You need electronics (actually an EEC-V ECM) and sensors to control the transmission, plus a functioning hydraulic "valve body" system -the two work togather (or in your case are fighting) to obtain the best performance.

There are a few inputs the ECM needs, TPS (throttle, sensor is on the IP), RPM and something else I can't remember right now. It sounds like the TPS might be misadjusted or worn out.

·
69 Posts
DAMN ELECTRONICS

Neutral safety switch,on drivers side of trans,mounted to selector lever.tells ecm what gear your in,they can cause this sort of symptom to,good luck,these trannys are often a pain.:damnit

Reactions: John_G

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Thanks man, yes the "DTR" - Digital Transmission Range switch

·
81 Posts
65-O/Drive cancel switch not cycled during test or in operative.Rerun test cycling the O/D switch.

74-brake light switch not cycled during test(brake pedal not pushed)or not working.Rerun test cycling the brake pedal.

These are hard faults,there should be memory codes also displayed.I have only used the FORD factory testers and they would display the codes as such: 65,74-10-**(where the *'s are code nubers indicating countinuos codes)10 is a separator code.These memory codes will appear when doing the KOEO test and would be the codes that you would be looking for to locate the concern that is causing the O/D light to flash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts