The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
spanky63
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 ford f350 with the 7.3 non-turbo diesel. A shop in TX did me a big favor and left my fuel pump loose on the side of the motor and they did not fix the timing correctly. So I spun two bearings. I just put a crank kit in it. But I am having trouble bringing the cam around so I can set the timing. It is real stiff both ways. I realize the valve springs are pretty tough on this motor but there has to be a way to turn it without the crank gear attached. The problem I had in TX was the fuel injection pump went bad and I took the tower off to change it. I regret ever doing that I never got the timing back in line after that. The shop I sent it to had all the timing except the fuel injection pump right. They left the fuel injection pump 180 degrees out it ran but totally like crap. I managed to nurse it home but then did not realize the motor was leaking so bad and lost most of my oil then spun the bearings.

·
93 Posts
I had to turn the cam on a 6.9 IDI with the crank shaft removed. In order to turn the cam I loosened all of the rockers to relieve the tension of the valve springs and lighten the loads on the lifters. That worked for me. once the timing marks are are aligned on the gears you torque the rockers back down. make sure all of the valve push rods are properly in their seats before torque is applied to the rocker bolts.

·
spanky63
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate it

Courtem I appreciate your reply. We ran into so many other problems with this I just went to a local junk yard and ordered a complete used motor.

·
spanky63
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New Motor

I bought a new motor for my truck I could not get a crank kit for it in my area. I am selling the old motor all it needs is a crank kit. I have all other parts. I am selling the block, oil pump, pan, oil cooler, heads, and intake. Anyone buys the block they will get the pistons and cam with it. This motor ran strong until i spun a bearing because of a shop in TX.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts