The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
01CUMMINS24
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Was Wondering If Any One Has Had A Problem Like This. A Friend Of Mines Truck Is An 01 3500 5speed, It Has 200,000 Miles And Has Never Had A Problem. Just Recently His Check Engine Light Came On, He Got The Truck Scanned And It Said His Lift Pump Was Bad And It Also Said Something About His Camshaft Pos. Sensor. He Replaced The Lift Pump And Cleared The Codes The Next Day The Truck Started Surging At Idle, Kinda Like It Had A Miss. It Stopped Surging For About A Day. He Brought It To Me And I Scanned It And The Camshaft Pos. Code Was Back Up, I Cleared It And It Started Doing It Again. We Put A Camshaft Sensor In It But It Countinues To Do It. Oh And It Only Does It At Idle And If You Give It The Slightest Amount Of Throttle It Stops. Maybe One Of You Could Help Me Out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is that truck all stock?

·
3,514 Posts
I would guess that the injection pump is on its last legs too, and that the timing probably won't reach full advance. Thats a common problem with these trucks, especially if they have been exposed to low or zero fuel pressure from the lift pump.
Sean

·
01CUMMINS24
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I Kinda Figured That It Was The Pump Just Wanted To Get Some Opinions Before Puting A Pump On It. Thanx For The Info!

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Well I've seen stock lift pumps bad from the get go... The other part is there is no gauges in the truck right?

Well I would suggest you get a fuel pressure gauge at least...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/BOMBS/dipricol%20gages/dipricol_gages.htm

The since stock pumps aren't the best I would verify its still working properly... 10 PSI MINIMUM PRESSURE REQUIRED!
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/Tips%20&%20Tricks/lift%20pump/lift%20pump.htm

If the VP44 has been run with low pressure you might try a shot of 2 cycle oil and see if it re-lubes the pump...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/Tips%20&%20Tricks/2%20cycle%20oil/2_cycle_oil.htm

If that doesn't work here is how to replace the VP44 on the truck...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/Tips%20&%20Tricks/VP44%20replacement/vp44%20replacement.htm

But it does seem odd that the cam sensor is popping back up... But remember on some models of Cummins engines the crank sensor was moved into the VP44 pump too... Like my 2002 doesn't have a crank sensor at all... So when it checks the timing its between the VP44 and the Cam sensor...

So is the tach bouncing at all???

·
01CUMMINS24
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Truck Has No Gauges, And The Tach Does Bounce A Little Bit. We Hooked A Gauge Up Yesturday And It Has Good Pressure.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
01CUMMINS24 said:
The Truck Has No Gauges, And The Tach Does Bounce A Little Bit. We Hooked A Gauge Up Yesturday And It Has Good Pressure.
Was this checked at WOT (Wide Open throttle on the road)??? How much pressure did you have??? Idling doesn't count...

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Here is the info. I do have on the cam sensor.

OPERATION - DIESEL

The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) performs
multiple functions. One function is to detect engine
speed (rpm). Another function is to relate crankshaft
position and Top Dead Center (TDC) of the number 1
cylinder. Because the CMP is now used to relate

crankshaft position, the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP)
is no longer used.The CMP (Fig. 6) contains a hall effect device
called a sync signal generator to generate a sync signal.

The CMP uses three wires (circuits) for operation.

One wire supplies a 5–volt signal from the Engine
Control Module (ECM). Another wire supplies a sensor
ground. The third wire supplies a signal back to
the ECM relating engine speed and crankshaft position.

The sensor detects machined notches on the rear
face of the camshaft drive gear (Fig. 7) to sense
engine speed.
The CMP also detects an area on the camshaft
drive gear that has no notch (Fig. 7). When the sensor
passes this area, it tells the Engine Control Module
(ECM) that Top Dead Center (TDC) of the
number 1 cylinder is occurring. The ECM will then
adjust fuel timing accordingly.
As the tip of the sensor passes the notches, the
interruption of magnetic field causes voltage changes
from 5 volts to 0 volts.

So I would also double check all the wiring back to the ECM and verify that wiring is not damaged.

·
01CUMMINS24
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well He Decided To Go Ahead And Put A Pump On It. The Camshaft Sensor Code Quit Coming Up. Thanks For All The Info, Ill Let You Know What Happens With The New Pump.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts