The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this site and really need some help. I just bought myself a fully loaded, black on black 08 F450 Crew Cab Long Bed with 13,000 miles. As we speak, I have 24" Freightliner Directionals in California being chromed. On Monday, the truck gets dropped off to have the custom stereo and interior installed. It is one of my daily drivers and I will use it to pull my racecar around to the tracks and my motorcycle to nationwide bike shows. I am trying harder than hell to lower this thing 3" in the front and 5" in the rear. Unfortunately, there is no one that makes a lowering kit for the 450 but everyone's got one for the 350. DJM said they never have and won't touch it. The one and only person in the United States that I could find, says he can make a kit that will lower it 2" in the front and 2" in the rear. And the only way to get the rear any lower is to remove some of the springs which we all know that's not gonna work for a gooseneck hauling anywhere from 8-12,000 lbs. I don't want to put airbags in it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Obviously the front sits lower than the rear at the stock position so 2" and 2" will kind of defeat the purpose. Please let me know if anyone can help or point me in the right direction. Thanks....

Oh, and Hi...my name's Nick.

·
773 Posts
Why are you against air bags??

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why are you against air bags??
I've never had them on anything that I owned, but I've heard nothing but horror stories. I really don't want an adjustable suspension. It just becomes more **** to break and service...especially with 15,000 lbs worth of gooseneck towing.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
if you get firestone airbags they are not adjustable for ride height it just supports the load. This way you could get rid of the stock rear springs...

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Will your F-450 tow anything a F-350 can't? Just trying to figure out why you got a 450 and want to drop it. Seems like it would have been easier to buy a 350 and drop it. They can haul a lot of weight...

·
776 Posts
I had Ride Rite airbags on my '07 F250 and have them on my current truck, '08 F350 and have never had any problems with them. My TT is around 16-18K fully loaded with water, bikes, extra fuel and gear.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts
Thats weird I have seen lots of lowered f450's.

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats weird I have seen lots of lowered f450's.
I've seen lots of lifted 450's, never lowered. And you may have seen a 350 with 450 tags cuz I've yet to find anyone in the United States willing to touch a 450. And if in fact you did see a REAL 450 lowered, please let me know who I need to get in touch with.

·
R.I.P. DAD
3,800 Posts

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BUMP!

STILL haven't found anyone that will lower my F450. I called Firestone and they obviously make bags that will keep it level under load, but nothing that will lower it. Ideally, I'd like to do a 3" front and 5" rear lower. DJM makes a kit as well as many others for an F350 but not the 450. Another guy on this thread sent that youtube video of that black F450 thinking it was lowered, but it is stock height. It's the 24" wheels and Pirelli tires that make it look lowered just like mine. Somebody please help! Wanna slam this thing ASAP!

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just trade me trucks and lower mine
Lol. Can't do it. Love my truck more than my girl! BUT, what can we do about some exhaust? Need that and an intake system and that's it. Don't wanna break into the computer. I'm actually a highline/exotic nationwide car dealer so I'm tax exempt. Usually get my dealer discount too?? ;)

·
259 Posts
Om off the subject but who chromed your wheels. I want to do my super singles bad. I was thinking black chrome, also how much did they charge ya if you don't mind?

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
NVied08. PM Dfuser. I think he is running a dropped f450.

·
194 Posts
I know of a guy that had either and f250 or f350 but he had F450 emblems. He told everyone it was an F450 but it was SRW. This truck was also SRW. I don't know (I may be wrong) but I don't think they make SRW 450's. Just me blabbing on to myself.:wave Oh and since your get a discount and tax free then you should hook us all up the next times we get ready to buy new vehicles. Maybe even then we can all get a group discount too if we buy at the same time. Sounds like a plan to me.

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Om off the subject but who chromed your wheels. I want to do my super singles bad. I was thinking black chrome, also how much did they charge ya if you don't mind?
Believe it or not, those were million mile wheels and they were absolutely disgusting. Wanted to get them chromed but when I sent them to my chromer in Cali, he said he would do it but couldn't really warranty because of all the sanding, prep, etc. He didn't want them to bubble and what not a year from now and look like an *******. BUT, he polished them like a son of a *****. He did a great job. He then clearcoated them. Any light scratches you just wet sand and buff. I've got a showbike that has over 550 pieces of chrome on it and I sent him every single piece of it...and I'm in Chicago. He also does black chrome, anodizing, etc. Sport Chrome in Anaheim, CA. Talk to Brad and tell him Nick with the 08 GSXR1000 from Billy at BPRO in Crestwood. He'll know exactly who I am. Does EXCELLENT work!

And as far as price? It definitely wasn't cheap. Had I sent him a brand new set, would probably be half the price. And I polished and clearcoated them inside AND out. Total for that package was about $3,000. It's steep but I knew that I would not be disappointed with the results.

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know of a guy that had either and f250 or f350 but he had F450 emblems. He told everyone it was an F450 but it was SRW. This truck was also SRW. I don't know (I may be wrong) but I don't think they make SRW 450's. Just me blabbing on to myself.:wave Oh and since your get a discount and tax free then you should hook us all up the next times we get ready to buy new vehicles. Maybe even then we can all get a group discount too if we buy at the same time. Sounds like a plan to me.
That's the stupidest **** I ever heard. If he had a 350 with duals, you just add the badges and front fender flares and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (unless you get underneath the truck and actually dig around). No 450 comes in a single rear wheel. Mine for example came with a 4.88 differential. Good luck getting that on a srw. That guy should be slapped for misrepresentation!

·
Nifty '450
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And you let me know when you're ready for a new car/truck. I'll save you a few grand. Then you can get your wheels done!! lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts