The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read or heard, and can't remember where, something about having the Dodge dealer "flash" the onboard computer to make the motor shut down 3 cylinders and idle it up to 1200 rpm in order to heat the motor quicker. I've, also, heard or read that the flashing procedure has to be done very carefully or problems can occur.
Any one know about this procedure?

·
Mafia #42
3,646 Posts
I know that the Smarty programmer does this, i've never heard of the dealership being able to do this. They may be able to, you never know

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, MoParMan

:Thumbup: the TSB is exactly what I was looking for. Has anyone done this and were the results satisfactory?

·
1,189 Posts
Well if I quit running into issues with my truck I am going to take my truck and have this done. the 3cyl and high idle. I will inform when this happens

·
Boost Junkie
318 Posts
CumminsISB24v said:
I Am Curious As Well. Anyone Done This??
I had D_B flash my truck with a smarty and it works great. Just hook the smarty up and then load a program. Then unload and your good to go.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
I've done it... I got my high idle progrm from a Smarty...

But the software works from the IAT sensor. So even though its 28*F out and you turn you key to the ON position the grid heaters just raised the temp to 38*F. So now it got to idle a while so grid heater quit to get the temp back below the trigger popint. Then it will start the high idle. This why I created the cheater switch for the IAT sensor so you can cheat it... (Bottom of the TSB page in previous post)

Wiring layout...
http://mopar.mopar1973man.com/2002%20Dodge/Tips%20&%20Tricks/high%20idle/IAT%20high%20idle%20fooler.gif

High idle will raise the EGT temps to about 300-350*F but if you got a exhaust brake it can rise to as high as 600-650*F with the exhaust brake active.

3 Cyclinder high idle is going to scare you the first time you hear it. Is sounds horrid. Like a mechanic with a big hammer trying to get out of your Cummins at 1,200 RPM's. But the EGT will rise 500-600*F with a Exhaust brake on it will rise to 800-900*F...

Once the coolant temp his 175*F the software is cancelled. If you touch the throttle its cancelled. Roll foreward or backwards program cancelled..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts