The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 05 chevy duramax lly eng. I have two problems. The first is the engine keeps puking out coolant out of the overflow tank. I replaced the 2 thermostats and the coolant sending unit as well as the overflow tank cap. all parts were oem parts. Do i have a blown head gasket or what? If so, how can i test this? The second prob is that my high idle is not working. I dont have a user manual so i dont know if my duramax even has an high idel. This is my first diesel truck. The mornings here have been in the low teens. i do plug in the block heater but doesnt seem to help much.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
your gaskets are gone sorry to say, I just had the same thing happen to me, and your cab temp isnt going to come up because there are air pockets inside the coolant system, which will cause your cab heat to fluctuate from cold to overheat

You should stop driving it if you can and get it to a mechanic you trust that can pressure test the cylinders, if you pressurize a cylinder the given air pressure shouldnt change, however if you lose pressure in that cylinder you have a blown gasket

On mine it was cylinder 2 (front driver side) that was losing pressure, but when i pulled the heads it ended up being cylinder 2,4,5,7 that had gasket damage

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A DEALER UNLESS YOU HAVE ENGINE WARRANTY LEFT!!! this is a $5000 job at a dealer!! I did it for $700 on a weekend with the help of a good mechanic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is there a head gasket set out there that u recomend? Do i need to replace the head bolts or replace them with studs and nuts? Do u know where i can get a manual for this? I have tryed to find a manual on this truck but haven't had any luck. Parts stores can't get a manual for my 05.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
Thanks. Is there a head gasket set out there that u recomend? Do i need to replace the head bolts or replace them with studs and nuts? Do u know where i can get a manual for this? I have tryed to find a manual on this truck but haven't had any luck. Parts stores can't get a manual for my 05.
Merchant automotive

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/llyheadgasketkit.aspx
This kit includes everything you need to change the gaskets

You have to replace the head bolts with new ones, thats the exact kit i got, and i just used the OEM style head bolts, i knew i wasnt going to be pushing for 500hp so the OEM bolts are more than sufficient, you can add the ARP stud kit for another $480, i didnt deem it worth it for me

As for a manual the only one i can reccomend is ALLDATA, but i think it is a pay type of service for Mechanics shops, if you know of any one who is a mechanic or can get ahold of the ALLDATA software it will give you a step by step instructions for doing it, just make sure to take lots of pictures and when you take things off to put them in an organized fashion, put everything from the right or left side of the engine on a bench the same way it came off, it helps for when you go to put it back on again

I did this job in 20hours, and GM says it takes 32, but i had some GOOD help

1 - 4 of 4 Posts