The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple months I've been noticing a slight anomaly when first starting my truck. The idle immediately is higher than usual for 5-10 seconds (~ 1000 RPM). Then it drops back to normal (~ 600 RPM). Does not happen every time, but enough for me to be concerned (run-a-way?).

I would describe it similar to the freezing weather warm up idle that kicks in after a few minutes sitting. But this happens immediately and it's been a long, hot summer here.

2005 PSD, 137k miles
I've never replaced the ICP or CPS. I have replaced the IPR, but that's been a number of years.
There are *no* trouble codes.....yet.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
1,213 Posts
^ +1. In fact, check all of your temperature sensors on a cold engine (KOEO). Usually takes 10-12 hours sitting to get the engine to ambient temps. Check ECT, EOT, TFT, IAT1, and IAT2. They should all be pretty close to each other.

Also, what is your Baro reading?

·
3,051 Posts
In winter my high idle kicks in after a few minutes of normal idling, or I can kick it on at will it with my high idle toggle switch.

It takes fuel delivery to increase the idle on a diesel, that said, I'm not sure what's causing your symptom unless you have some kind of injection timing or pulse width command that's being erroneously commanded from the ficm or ecm. May want to check the wiring harness for any chaffing and also check your charging system to make sure the alternator isn't overcharging, over charging can cause sensors and commands to go whacky.

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts