The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What rpms should a 2001 idle at? (cold and when warmed up)

·
Registered
422 Posts
they should be the same, somewhere around 700-800rpm

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the truck yesterday and drove it home (6hrs). When I got off the highway it was idling at about 1100-rpms, got it home and shut it down and restarted it and then it dropped to about 800-900. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
422 Posts
could be a pump problem or an apps problem, they shouldn't idle at 1100 rpm on their own naturally.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im fairly new with diesels, can you tell me how I can troubleshoot this problem.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Start with reseting your APPS sensor. That's free. I think it goes something to the effect of disconnecting your batteries. Then let it set for a night then in the morning connect them. Turn your key forward in the run position but don't start. Then slowly depress your accelerater pedal and slowly bring it back up. Something to that effect, but don't quote me on that.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Phily 911 said:
Start with reseting your APPS sensor. That's free. I think it goes something to the effect of disconnecting your batteries. Then let it set for a night then in the morning connect them. Turn your key forward in the run position but don't start. Then slowly depress your accelerater pedal and slowly bring it back up. Something to that effect, but don't quote me on that.
He's correct!

Everytime you disconnect you battery you MUST recalibrate your APPS sensor. This tells the ECM where idle is and where WOT is. So if you just hook up your batteries and never do it this is what you'll get... (High idle, no exhaust brake, and a few other gliches).

Just rest the APPS and your good to go! :Thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It has been idling fine (havent done anything yet), but it only done it after I drove it on the highway for a long time. If it were the APPS wouldnt it idle high all the time?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts