The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! i'm looking into buying another 6.4 for the buissness, the truck i'm looking at is a 2009 f-450 with 285000km (aprox 178000 miles) i tried the truck and it goes just fine, no rattle at all, truck was use to pull a 3 axel car hauler mostly on highway. brakes are goods, front end is it top shape (just perform heavy truck inspection) what do you think about the engine, will it last another 100k miles??, will do a dpf delete as soon as i get it +spartan. any thing to look for before i buy.any recommandation to look at would be great. Any high mileage 6.4 here?? the guy was the original owner and just replace his truck with a 6.7.

Thank M.B

·
62 Posts
Shoot me the VIN and I can check warranty history up to 100k. That can give you an idea of engine problems. Only thing on 450's that concern me is cooling system. Check bottle level and condition. The 450/550 seem to go through front covers more than the 250/350.

·
606 Posts
I don't see any reason why a 6.4 can't go a minimum of 300,000 miles if you do the proper maintenance. Injectors, EGR seem to be the leading killers of the motor, not the motor itself. Doing a DPF delete will go a long way keeping the motor happy.

·
Tyler
63 Posts
definately check if the owner did fuel filters every 10-15k if possible. i just had to replace the high pressure fuel system on a f450 boom lift truck out of warranty cause the high pressure pump grenaded due to contaminated fuel. it was almost 8000 dollars for the pump all new injectors fuel rails and about 30 hrs of labor. they are a pain in the *** to do if you cant take the body right off. and with the boom hanging over i couldnt

·
USN Retired
9 Posts
Just went over 200,000 and still running strong.

All fluids replaced at the dealership, oil changed every 6k, fuel filters every 18k, and Motorcraft cetane additive every tankful.

·
212 Posts
dont know about the 09 6.4 but the new one < maxxforce7> has a B50 of 500,000 miles. i think that refers to the miles at which 50% will still be functional without major overhaul. thats navistar though, not ford.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts