The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to know what years the high output cummins was offered in there trucks? I could only find stuff on 02' and earlier trucks but just saw something about a 2003 HO. Are the HO engines that much better..... or worse..... than the regular cummins. I know they make more HP and torque but are they as reliable as a regular stock engine....

I'll probably be purchasing a 2500 or 3500 with a cummins within the next year, probably an 03' or possibly later depending on cost and was curious about the HO. Also, are there any years that I should stay away from. It'll probably be a 6 speed manual..... Thanks :smoke

·
567 Posts
they are just as good and they are the same engine just a few different things

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an 06 HO (325hp factory) with the Mercedes 6 speed in a 2wd std. cab,and the Max Energy programmer. It is scary fast for a big stock truck. Nope,won't beat an SRT-10,but what I am towing will, easily :)

Don't know what is diff about the early Cummins, but I can tell you the 325hp intake is HUGE,around 6" , and the exhaust looks to be 4" stock turbo back.

I'm going to do a muffler delete and better air filter element and leave it at that.

Probably.

·
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the majority of the engines from 2003 and on high output or is it mixed between high output and the regular output engines?

·
567 Posts
From late 03 up they are HOs If you have an early 03 like i do its an SO

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
ok so this whole thing is confusing
early 03's(built in 02) will be the SO
late 03-early 04(built in 03) will be the HO 305hp/555tq
late 04-06(built 04-06) will be the 325hp/600tq
late 06-07 will be the 325hp/610tq
08-on are the 350hp/650tq 6.7l

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had a friend buy a 04 yesterday and it didn't have the HO it had something that was rated at 250 something HP????? So what did he get?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
04.5 and up are 325hp
an 04 with 250? that must be a california truck....

·
Registered
964 Posts
Yup sure is!! Bummer for him!

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
yea the 325 has a stud girdle and a few other things just to beef up the hard parts, a long with slightly different programming..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just dropped the K&N filter in my '06 HO yesterday.This filter is a monster.Square top to fit the box,but has a huge cone built into the bottom.There are NO baffles or restrictions in my air inlet from the box right to the turbo inlet.The inlet tube is 6"! With the muff delete and Hypertech stage 3 tune it should be a bit snapppier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts