The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 2hrs looking for someone who sold silver solder,in my area ,so i could fix a radiator leak.I finally find some at a heating and cooling supplier and they only had it in 1lb. it was $108.00 a roll,didn't buy it of course.Decided to stop at napa for the hell of it,they had a 4oz. roll of 60/40 that said it was for radiators $12.00.So i got it soldered up,can't believe the cost of things these days,and always hard to find what your looking for,IT GRINDS MY GEARS

·
38 Posts
Buy it at Home Depot or any plumbing store. $3-$14 for about 1oz spool. Hard sticks are a bit more but not needed. Oatley solders work well on radiators.

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Home Depot or lowes here didn't carry it,and all they had was lead free solder,most radiator solder has some lead,it doesn't get solder bloom as bad as lead free,from my experience.

·
3,533 Posts
I have repaired a lot of radiators and always used plain old 60/40 acid core solder.
Silver solder you have to get so much heat in the object you would melt out all the solder around the place you want to repair, long before to silver solder would melt.
Just a thought!

·
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's the key,ACID CORE,not flux core,and with lead works better than led free,as to the silver solder,my research on internet showed it to have lower melting point 206deg.versus219 deg. with60/40 tin/lead solder,anyway i used 60/40 tin/lead and it worked great,but as i said,needs to be ACID CORE to get good adhesion.

·
3,533 Posts
I used a lot of silver solder the hard wire and it is all a propane torch can do to melt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts