The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was in bumper to bumper traffic today in the blistering head and my trans got real hot on the way home (about 30-40 minute drive). It stayed above 185 for the majority of the drive, and the highest I saw was 196. My question is not what caused it cuz i know it was the bumper to bumper driving and high heat/humitidy, but is there anything I need to do like change out the fluid since it got that hot?

Thanks

·
773 Posts
You should be fine at 195, 220-230 is where you have to get fluid checked and/or changed.

Reactions: O2ShootTheJ

·
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thanks for the quick reply

·
194 Posts
Yea i've been seeing between 185 and 201 lately with this high heat. Trans still shifts fine. Got 25K on the truck running 275 the majority of it.

·
773 Posts
Not a problem.

·
I like Pretty Girls!
1,332 Posts
I have seen mine as high as the yellow on the dash gauge and I think that was close to230..... It was the first time I heard my fan come on.

I was towing a light load (6000 pnds) off road through a mountain road in about 35C so my thoughts are if its only in the warning/yellow part on the gauge anything less should be fine

·
141 Posts
what is the real max temp?
A stock truck has the fan kick on at about 230 and the tranny temp guage is right in the middle?

·
FukeneH
197 Posts
what is the real max temp?
A stock truck has the fan kick on at about 230 and the tranny temp guage is right in the middle?
? what are you asking,when should you change the oil? when you will do damage? when will it melt? 230+ you WILL start burning additives out.friction not your friend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts