The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I Shoulda kept the 7.3L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded my EGR cooler to Bulletproof Diesel's aftermarket version, along with an oil cooler rebuild. After all of this I am experiencing a hissing from the V-clamp on the y-pipe to turbo connection. Is there a gasket that i may have lost during the procedure? I lost the spring on the v-clamp and purchased a new clamp that did not come with a new spring or T-bolt, is it necessary? Please help, very frustrated!!

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Lots of swearing helps.

Remove the air intake from the turbo to the filter, remove the hot side intercooler pipe, and disconnect the down pipe. Take the bolts out of the pedestal so the turbo is basically loose. Loosen the clamp on the Y-pipe so you can slip it aside and see the flanges. The flange on the Y-pipe is designed to interlock with the exhaust housing inlet. They should mate together evenly all the way around, yours don't right now. Move the turbo around until the Y-pipe and the exhaust housing interlock evenly all the way around, put the clamp back on and tighten it up enough to hold the two parts together, but not so tight that you cant get the bolts back in the pedestal. Bolt the turbo to the pedestal, then finish tightening the Y-pipe clamp. Put everything else back together, and you chould have no leaks.

Reactions: smoskalrox

·
TDG MAFIA
1,270 Posts
^^^ What he said. It can be a real big pita at first but once you do it 2/3 times you get the hang of it. As you know its very tight back there and you cant see the back side of the flange. I used a inspection mirror at first until I got it down to just feeling the flanges. Try the mirror it works

·
Addicted to Money
306 Posts
I will say this, be somewhat careful with the y-pipe. Move it around too much and you could cause a crack in the bellows.

·
I Shoulda kept the 7.3L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I tried doing everything but loosening the turbo because I was afraid I'd never get it to seat. I will give it a shot on sat. and let you all know.

·
645 Posts
really you should loosen the bolts and nuts where it goes to the manifold then get it set right on the turbo tighten it up then retighten the bolts on the manifold. this will keep it from cracking and leaking. bending it by doing it the other way can make it crack, the belows arent there for it to flex some for installation there there so it can expand when its extreamly hot.

·
I Shoulda kept the 7.3L
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update:

I loosened the up-pipes at the manifolds and lossened the turbo from the pedastal. I then applied a very small amount of grease to the inner flange of the y-pipe and to the v-clamp. This allowed the fittings to easily slide together into place. I then lightly tightened the v-clamp and then reassymbled everything.....with no leaks. Thanks for the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts