The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I went to the local dyno today and boy was I surprised. First off they didn't tell me till I was in there office that there dyno was screwed up and couldn't read the torque, well ok guess I'll just get some hp#s. Hit the rollers stock first and ran an impressive 209hp:damnit , ok I said wow that seemed kinda low so I load up the extreme setting and throw down an off the chart 292:pointlaugh . Now people said this dyno reads low because of light rollers and all but man I'm not even making stock horsepower with the extreme setting.
So heres a question for all you veteran dyno people, he had me go in second gear run up to a 1000rpm and then hit it till max rpm, does that sound right or does that help explain these crazy #s? I'm kinda embarassed to post a pic of the dyno sheet, so maybe later.LOL

·
1,130 Posts
Well in 2nd you have gearing helping you a bunch which means it won't load the truck up as well. Not loaded up will mean lower numbers. Basically, your truck doesn't have time to build adequate boost. When I ran at the dyno I ran it up to 70 MPH then rolled into the go pedal slowly, but fast enough to have it on the floor by 80. I laid down just a smidgen under 400RWHP and ~740RWTQ using that method. My truck is all stock EXCEPT for the Quad 160 box.

Your other option would be for ID to build you a Dyno file that will pretty much locks you into direct with the TC locked up above a certain speed with the same engine tune.

·
4,827 Posts
outlaw6oh said:
he had me go in second gear run up to a 1000rpm and then hit it till max rpm, does that sound right
WTF? 2nd gear? :damnit At minimum, you should've been in direct. I hit the governor so fast on my Ram (stock governor springs), I can't get really any numbers, unless I'm in O/D. I only got something like 100hp in direct. I've only added the bigger injectors and delivery valves since that attempt. Ran again on a different dyno in O/D, and put 363hp and 793tq to the ground.

The new injectors and the DVs probably only added 60hp, maybe. They didn't add much more fuel than what I was running before.

I'd suggest a different shop that KNOWS how to dyno a diesel.

·
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have known better than run after watching them hack up the dyno run on a sweet 67Camaro, he ran 342hp and he said his #s were low and they were telling him it was his high gear going out in his tranny. But there was defenitely no load on my motor I pegged the tach in like 2seconds flat, even going around 4400rpms in extreme I think it went a little over but it was so quick it was hard to tell. I think I'm gonna make a trip up north to DDP I hear they got one of the best dynos in the area and know what they are doing.:thanks:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts