The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this look right or should I move it to where the ball is level..

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I believe that the spacers from the head unit should just be touching the draw bar..hard to tell from just that pic.maybe a top view would help? I know that our Equilizer weight dist. hitch had a little pitch like what you have shown but im not sure it was quite that much..Do you know what brand you have and the manual for it..maybe that would help. Then again I could be wrong with this particular setup. Just speaking from my personal experience.

·
Administrator
8,879 Posts
It should be fine Aaron. It needs to be a little slanted to compensate for when you get upwards pressure of the distribution bars.

·
Inline Junky!
1,705 Posts
Here's the deal Aaron....To set up your hitch level the trailer by measuring from the from rail to the ground in the front and rear of the camper. Do not use a level because it needs to be even front to rear. Then measure from the ground to the top off the ball coupler on the trailer. Now add one inch to that measurement and that's the height you set the ball at when the draw bar is in the truck when parked on level ground. now with the draw bar pined in the truck and NOT hooked to the trailer install one of your dist bars and swing it straight back from the truck and slighting pull up on the chain to remove any slack from the set up and measure from the very tip of the dist bar to the ground this measurement needs to be between 6-9inches to work properly. to adjust that distance you loosen your top bolt and tip the head front or back to adjust the bars to make the 6-9inches. Now once you have this done its time to hook the truck to trailer but first measure from the ground to the top on your wheel wells on the front and rear of the truck and note these numbers you will need them later. (side note: set your tire psi to max before taking this measurement) Now hook up you rig. once the coupler is latched used the jack to lift up on the rear of your truck just a bit to release some tension from the dist bars. Now hook up the dist bars start with 2 links. Now lower the jack down and put all the weight on the truck. this it where your measurements from earlier come into play. you don't want anymore then one inch of travel up or down combined front and rear ie: if your stating marks were 41.5 in the rear and 40.5 in the front and you are now reading 40.75 in the rear and 40.5 in the front your great!! if you find that your sank there rear of the truck more then and inch and you lifted the front you need to tighten your dist bars one more link and measure again. If you find out you lifted the rear of your truck and sank the front you need to loosen your bars a link! then its time for a test ride! also your eyes don't lie step back and look at the rig when you are all done if it doesn't look right its prolly not.
review all your steps!! I hope this helps! :happymugs

1 - 4 of 4 Posts