The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a truck and the resever is rusted into the hitch any ideas how to get it out ive beat it oiled it and tied the truck to a tree to pull it out still stuck

·
1,060 Posts
A bigger sledge, are you able to look at it from the inside where your spare is I knew a farmer that welded his in due to someone stealing his drop all the time. He was a farmer not about to spend $20 on a hitch lock when he could just weld it in 2 min... LOL But yours is not held in by anything other then rust right...

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Heat? and a sledge to get it moving? Once the pin is out, heat it good, smack it IN and see if you can get it moving. Get some PB Blaster and coat it good and keep trying to work in/out.

·
3,533 Posts
I have never seen a hitch seize in, many many slop around and rattle. If it is not welded, then it is one in a million.

·
7.3 addict
644 Posts
oil the heck out of it and find a good heavy trailer to tow around for a few days

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Try towing something with it, the I would soak it in PB blaster. Heat would be my last option, but you may have no choice. We are talking about the draw bar and not the pin correct?

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
I have never seen a hitch seize in, many many slop around and rattle. If it is not welded, then it is one in a million.

Seen it plenty of times. Someone buys a truck with a hitch, installs a receiver with "their" ball and leaves it there because all they tow is a little 4x8 utility trailer. After a few good winters, all the rust swells up and locks the receiver in the tube. Without towing something heavy, it never gets a good work out to wobble the tube bigger.

Our company F100 had the same issue. I finally got them to leave receiver in the cab until the few days a year it's needed. That way it's not stuck(like it was one day I tried to remove it becasue I got tired of knocking my knee into it).

·
3,533 Posts
Seen it plenty of times. Someone buys a truck with a hitch, installs a receiver with "their" ball and leaves it there because all they tow is a little 4x8 utility trailer. After a few good winters, all the rust swells up and locks the receiver in the tube. Without towing something heavy, it never gets a good work out to wobble the tube bigger.

Our company F100 had the same issue. I finally got them to leave receiver in the cab until the few days a year it's needed. That way it's not stuck(like it was one day I tried to remove it becasue I got tired of knocking my knee into it).
That means I learned something today, every truck I have ever seen, even without a load the hitch slops around. The only ones I have ever seen that do not rattle are the ones I built, and they have a longer receiver, and are bolted with two bolts

·
34 Posts
Steady pressure and a hammer works nice. Used a porta a power once. it was a drop hitch so i pushed from underneath. Built up pressure then shocked it with a hammer. Also me and buddy did this, if you have an old tire laying around hook chain to hitch and tire then another to tire and tree put some pressure on it. Tire will keep steady pressure and shock with a hammer. The straighter you can pull the better. Just be carefull.

·
1,060 Posts
So did you ever get it out?

·
26 Posts
Yes, i think he did. He got a thin saw blade and cut the pin from between the hitch and pin, on the inside of the receiver. I think ??

Reactions: Trip

·
645 Posts
I see them rusted in all the time.

I have a 10 ton port a power that i use to push it out from the front side, on a few I have cut a hole in the front of the receiver if it is capped. Many times I was not able to get them out with the port a power alone. I have sprayed them with PB blaster for several days and the set up the port a power ram put tension on it and then smacked it a few time with a hammer to get them loose

One I ended up cutting the hitch off then using a sawsall (and a few blades) I cut to line down the hitch tube then chiseled it out.

good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts