The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, over the past few months I have been putting togeather some parts for my fuel system. I have some Stage 2 nozzles, a Holly 150gph "black" pump, and all the fittings i need to install it into the stock lines. My IP and LP are fine, but I want to put the injector nozzles in, and want to have enouh fuel to run my Comp with the injectors, so i thought the pump would be a good idea.

My question is can I put my new pump right in the stock fuel line on the frame and keep the LP in line with it as well, or do I have to eliminate the LP to run the Holly unit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Well I can't say if the Holley Black with do the trick for sure... I heard of several people using Holley Blacks and Blues...

But as for the stacking the Holley Fuel Pump against the stack pump. You got to remember if either pump fails for any reason then there is 0 PSI. I know for a fact the stock pump (Carter) will not pass fuel if its not running...

So I would suggest you run just one pump to reduce the likely hood of a fuel preoblem

·
1,189 Posts
actually I am running my holley blue through my stock lift pump which I know is pretty much dead only works now and then but I always have 13psi. when the lift pump decides to work I have 19.

·
1,189 Posts
when I put the holley blue on my truck it has 3psi running. when I used the turbo timer and had the holley blue hooked to the wrong fuse it would idle with 0psi so I hooked my holley blue up with the turbo timer so it runs with it and stays happy

·
307 Posts
I have a holley blue running through a new lift pump and everything works fine.

I also am running blind because I haven't had the time to install my fuel pressure gauge.

****01quadcab are you running a fuel pressure regulator?

·
112 Posts
i had one on my old truck worked great liked it better then my fass on my new truck...

·
1,189 Posts
yes I am running a regulator because when the lift pump does work it was pushing 25 psi and more and was told thats too much pressure.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
10 PSI Minimum
20 PSI Maximum

Thats the normal range for fuel pressure without damaging the VP44...

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so let me get this straight. It sounds like alot of you guys are saying I can go ahead and put my Holly right in the stock lines WITH the stock lift pump.

So i can just splice my fuel line, wire up the Holly to an ignition HOT wire, and go happily on my way? Or should I just man up and spend the money and get a fass 95 and the big line kit? I simply wanted to save some money, but if im gonna ruin my VP than Id rather spend the $$ on the fass if its that much better.

·
1,189 Posts
go with the holley mine has been going for just about a year now. good part is if you end up needing a new one and are on the road you can get one pretty easy. I just spliced mine and away I went and it keeps good pressure. I would say get the big line kit for it though especially with having larger nozzles. pressure can fool you when your not getting enough flow. make sure to regulate the pressure before the vp44 and run 2 stroke oil to keep it happy.. and gain the mileage.

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it pretty easy to add a regulator, and whare/what kind should I get? Also, what is the size fuel lines I should run with my Holly, and will all the fittings come with the big line kit as well?

·
Giggity Giggity
18 Posts
JeffyBuilt said:
Is it pretty easy to add a regulator, and whare/what kind should I get? Also, what is the size fuel lines I should run with my Holly, and will all the fittings come with the big line kit as well?
The HBolley pumps should come with a regulator, but they regulate your pressure to something like 8 psi IIRC, not enough.

In terms of the big line kit, it will have everything you need from fittings to lines, etc.

·
1,189 Posts
they come set at 8 but can be adjusted to 14 or more if I remember right. I have mine in and it's a constant 13

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pump I got says it is set at 16 psi, so I thought I wouldnt use a regulator, but run it through the stock LP, but I guess now I will just run the big line kit and do it right all at once. Thanks guys, and if I have any questions, Ill post em soon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
i have been running my stock pump and my holley for over a year now. They make 26lbs together at idle and 18lbs at wide open throttle. I have neither had injection pump trouble, nor have i experienced hard starts. Its kinda like playing with fire, but im ok for now. I recomend installing a regulator with the pumps. Pressures get kinda high.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts