The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was sitting here thinking, and searching the internet on the exhaust brakes. Now i dont really haul alot of weight, just the occasional compact tractor and 6-8 atvs. Were i live there are alot of hills and mountains and sharp bends that lead to another sharp bend in the road, so i thought an exhaust brake would come in handy. And if anything it would be cool!!!

On average a kit costs around $1100.00 to $1600.00 depending on the options and the kit you prefer. right?

Now can someone tell me if i am heading in the right direction or to just give up, never let my mind think as much, sit on the couch, eat a gallon of ice cream, and do the 9-5 routine just like everyone else.

Whats wrong with taking an electric exhaust cut out that would fit your current exhaust, fabricating a mount and throwing it in the middle. Now i do know that the kits have a small portion on the bottum that is left open, for some exhaust to still pass by? Now the only other thing is the cut out is shut and when power is sent to it it opens. Basically the total opposite of what needs to be done for the brake. But if you could some how reverse the electric motor, or even reconfigure the rod from the motor to the "valve" it might work. Then you may be into it for the price of the cut-out $250.00 for a 4-inch, and the time and money in fabricating.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And the only thing i can see now is that you would have this running off of a toggle switch. So you would have to turn it off- on as you please. Which that sounds better to me than you have more control- right?

·
1,661 Posts
Or you could get a SCT from dfuser for $379.00 with 6 custom tunes and get one or two tunes with jake brake in the program.

·
171 Posts
how is jake break in a custom tune? never tried it so i dont know how well it works. thanks!

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I like the jake break on the sct.

·
1,661 Posts
It uses the vgt to close off the vanes, and gives back pressure to the exhaust side of the turbo.

·
1,661 Posts

·
illadvised and dangerous
405 Posts
Or figure out the vgt voltage to do the same on either a switch or a knob...

·
2,106 Posts

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah ok i will go sit on the couch now!!! lol

Yeah i have a sct, well kinda if it ever gets back from sct themselves. Sent it back to them before thanksgiving because it wouldnt power on.

So explain more about how to use the Brake with the controler!!

·
1,661 Posts
yeah ok i will go sit on the couch now!!! lol

Yeah i have a sct, well kinda if it ever gets back from sct themselves. Sent it back to them before thanksgiving because it wouldnt power on.

So explain more about how to use the Brake with the controler!!
When your getting ready to load a canned tow tune in, it will ask you if you want the jake option. So you can tow with or without the jake. If you get a hold of one of the SCT vendors you can buy tow tunes that are stronger than the canned ones, that have the jake brake programed into them.

·
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright but how and when does the brake come on?

When you let off the gas does it automatically kick in or do you have to be at a certain speed?

·
1,661 Posts
When you let off the go pedal, our throttle is fly by wire, so when you let off the go pedal the jake tunes close off the vanes in the vgt. You can feel and hear the diffrence.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
I don't know if things have changed or not but in the early days of the 6.0, a conventional jake brake was not recommended for this engine. Personally, I would not run one. A tune with an aggressive Tow/Haul mode works very well to slow any load I have ever towed, which includes my 15K 5er.......

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
And the only thing i can see now is that you would have this running off of a toggle switch. So you would have to turn it off- on as you please. Which that sounds better to me than you have more control- right?
if you were to go the route of the cutout you could use a TPS to activate the brake when the throttle is fully closed.

Garrett

1 - 16 of 16 Posts