The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HERE IS MY 91 379ext, JUST FINISHED THE STRETCH TO 305" GOT ENTIRE REAR CUTOFF FROM A 06-387 WITH 87,374 ON IT, 3/8 frame rails 46,000 rears on low low air car hauler. just completly rebuilt the hood with a few goodies, up graded drivshafts and yokes, last year i pulled the 4mg and built a 41z C mod industrial to high hp spec's and replaced the 16913b with a 20918b and lipe clutch. as you can see still have fenders,bumper,paint,stacks, and ect,ect ect to do yet,I pull my own bull wagon and cant wait to to get this one finished!! due to the economy i will be accepting donations to finish LOL as my wife has cut my allowance for play toy parts,her words. I have enjoyed looking at all of your builds and workin trucks,just thought i would throw mine into the mix.THANKS:beer 'O here is my other ride. if you have ever seen the movie HILDALGO" we foaled him here on the ranch,he likes to come into the barn and help me with my beer's

Attachments

·
5,365 Posts
nice - im curious, whats the purpose in extending the frames ?

·
113 Posts
Thanks for posting. That is/will be a good looking truck. So, ole spot is the actual horse from the movie? It's a great movie btw for those who have never seen it.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my other rigs!

here are a few pic's of our/ 01-c-6500 western hauler,our 00 pete 379ext, and my 54 kw 521/ 262 TURBO CUMMINS this was my fathers truck he purchased new in 55,I drove this truck as a teenager,still sittin at the deck of our loggin camp,dad passed in 96 and i keep thinkin about restoring it. and yes ol' spot ( dakota ) was used in the movie,there were actually 3 horses used, him and two of his half brothers. THANKS... :D

Attachments

·
2,555 Posts
That is some nice iron, Having that old KW that your Dad bought new is amazing, :thumbsup

·
237 Posts
Going to be a sharp bull wagon when you get thru, beautiful place, horse, and country, looks like it could be up around Raton. I've seen the movie several times, love it.

·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
THANKS' FOR ALL THE KIND REMARKS. I have always been one of those folks that had to take someone else's junk and rebuild it,to suit my needs,rather than buy it new.seems to be less and less value in that way of thinking with this new breed these days,hopefully with the worsening economy,these lessons can be retaught,sure beats a visit from the repo man? "O" we are down here in southern NM out side of las cruces,our loggin camp is in cloudcroft nm.I know all of you have seen whats go'in on with the border issue,trust me living only 30 miles off the boder,its ten times worse than anything you have seen or heard.!!:bdh

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
How bout bush's question on the purpose of stretching a frame?

·
Born in the USA
2,651 Posts
Beautiful trucks. I'm sure dad would be proud if you restored his old '55.

·
645 Posts
1)To put the trailer far away from the cab so there is a big void to create drag, so you have to stand on the hammer, injecting more fuel, making more smoke, making more noise (turbo scream and exhaust drone) look'n like a highway cowboy hauling that cattle?

2)So you can tell the broker, "My truck is to long to go to New York City, or Boston".

3) So it rides like a Caddy.

4)A place to put the hay?:bdh

seriously is the a practical reason these long wheelbase trucks, I see them out west every were.

·
168 Posts
It got started out west back when all the length laws where in effect, on the west coast to be able to meet the bridge laws you would see all the trucks stretched out with some sort of deck or drom box on them. They had to be a TRUCK and trailer, not a tractor pulling a trailer, if that makes since to you. It was the all knowing government that made those dumb laws. Now there is not a real reason unless you pull some big stuff and need the front overhang, or if your really big and need a giant slider for a jeep or something along those lines. Today it is really all about looks, the custom builders took the look of a west coast truck from back then and have expanded on it, it's just that a look. It does look good I have to say, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be practical for me anyhow, atleast the real long anyway. Well that pretty much sums it up, so merry x-mas to everyone, and you have some nice looking trucks there bud.

·
525 Posts
let me just add the ride is fabulous(like a looong Caddy)and easier to get weight on steer axle with extra length

·
Udderly Delicious
169 Posts
Love the last reply! Love your stretched wagon sled! Love ole paint! And love your Dad's old KW! From one cow hauler to another of course.

·
Tribal
167 Posts
IMHO, frame stretchin One : Improves the Ride and Two : Looks AWESOME..One drawback is parking & tight turns (forward & reverse) but when all else fails refer to #TWO :peelout

·
533 Posts
1)To put the trailer far away from the cab so there is a big void to create drag, so you have to stand on the hammer, injecting more fuel, making more smoke, making more noise (turbo scream and exhaust drone) look'n like a highway cowboy hauling that cattle?

2)So you can tell the broker, "My truck is to long to go to New York City, or Boston".

3) So it rides like a Caddy.

4)A place to put the hay?:bdh

seriously is the a practical reason these long wheelbase trucks, I see them out west every were.
Well I have a short truck and I'm not going to Boston or NY. I like the looks of a longer truck as long as it's not stupid long.
IMO this is so long it looks dumb.

BUT I feel if it's your truck and your money, more power to you make it as long as you wish. I don't see the guys with the long trucks tearing other guys hoods off at the truckstops. It's usually the fleet drivers with the short trucks.:haha

·
168 Posts
I don't see the guys with the long trucks tearing other guys hoods off at the truckstops. It's usually the fleet drivers with the short trucks.:haha

LMAO soooo true, and I've been counting on that for awhile now for someone to take mine off since it's messed up, no luck yet.,:bang

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
HERE IS MY 91 379ext, JUST FINISHED THE STRETCH TO 305" GOT ENTIRE REAR CUTOFF FROM A 06-387 WITH 87,374 ON IT, 3/8 frame rails 46,000 rears on low low air car hauler. just completly rebuilt the hood with a few goodies, up graded drivshafts and yokes, last year i pulled the 4mg and built a 41z C mod industrial to high hp spec's and replaced the 16913b with a 20918b and lipe clutch. as you can see still have fenders,bumper,paint,stacks, and ect,ect ect to do yet,I pull my own bull wagon and cant wait to to get this one finished!! due to the economy i will be accepting donations to finish LOL as my wife has cut my allowance for play toy parts,her words. I have enjoyed looking at all of your builds and workin trucks,just thought i would throw mine into the mix.THANKS:beer 'O here is my other ride. if you have ever seen the movie HILDALGO" we foaled him here on the ranch,he likes to come into the barn and help me with my beer's
Nice looking rig lets keep the old iron movin!!

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Nice looking rigs there.. Love that old KW that was your Dads. I like the look of long WB trucks if they keep it looking clean and its not just for extream looks. I have seen very few Long WB trucks in big citys. so IMO if your a OTR guy and have to turn away loads you are either very good and make good $ or you are lousing loads and going broke LOL. Have seen a few dirt haulers try to use a long WB truck and well lets just say they go thru fuel tanks alot!
I have to dissagree with the comment that the longer the WB the more weight you can put up on the front axel. It has been my experince that the shorter the WB the more weight is seen on the steer axel. long WB trucks tend to run the 5th wheel farther forward to get more weight at the front of the truck

1 - 20 of 21 Posts