The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Hudson trailer (triple axle) has the old style house trailer brakes on it and I am being told that not all the parts are made anymore. I am almost sure I don't have the parts anymore. So should I change out the axles or just try and get at least one brake axle working and go from there. The most I will haul is about 15,000 pounds on the trailer. Towing with a 2010 F350 Dually?

·
391 Posts
If you can't find parts, I would replace all the axles to make sure everything is up to par. I would hate to think about going out with a good load not knowing that all my brakes were working right. If you were to get in an accident and the police would find out, you may have some difficulties. Anyway, trailer axles are not that expensive or hard to replace. I just replaced one on my dump trailer a few months ago.

·
truckn'
1,720 Posts
replace the brakes with new ones...if you just update one axle you will not be able to hardly stop with a 15k load plus the weight of the trailer. You will burn up the one axle that does work trying to stop it because it is overloaded.

·
1,836 Posts
If you leave the state all axles have to have working brakes, at 15k any surprises could be expensive if even one does not work.

Six or eight hole wheels, tires, hubs, backing plates 'MAY' fit the stubs. Pull one and measure the seal and bearing diameters and the spacing to see if they are the current size that is in the online catalog. If the brake spider is in the wrong place it can be cut off and a mount bracket welded for the 5 bolt backing plate. Eight bolt hubs cost a little more but the wheels are a lot easier to find used.

You can often get an axle kit for just a little more than hubs and brakes.

There is about 4 in difference in tire diameter doughnuts to 235 16 or 7.50x16.

The shoes can be relined but magnets are hard to find.

·
1,709 Posts
replace the brakes with new ones...if you just update one axle you will not be able to hardly stop with a 15k load plus the weight of the trailer. You will burn up the one axle that does work trying to stop it because it is overloaded.

:whs

You don't want to chance it with that much weight.

·
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I can't get parts to replace all the brakes so I think I will buy 3 new axles and replace all three of the old ones.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts