The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a notice that the city is going to tow my vehicle in a matter of hours if I don't move it.

It won't start, and I can see that fuel is not getting to the injectors (I open the fuel line that goes in the injectors, crank the engine, and nothing comes out).

Fuel is getting to the fuel line right before the injector pump. I don't even have to crank the engine for that, I just opened the line and turn on the lift pump (aftermarket) and fuel comes out. There is air in the lines, as it bubbles and sputters a bit.

This is for a 1991 Ford E350 diesel 7.3

I've had this problem before and bled the air from the lines by opening it at the injectors and cranking, but thats not working this time and I am in a hurry.

I understand there may be a bleed valve on the injector pump, I want to know where it is and how to use it, and any other ideas or helpful suggestions anyone may have for my situation.

This looks a lot like the pump I have:

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No takers? Someone on another board helped me rule out any issues with the fuel stop solenoid. Its getting power and clicking when i connect/disconnect the wire.

Also, I tried to pump some air out. I disconnected the fuel hose before the injector pump and ran the lift pump until fuel was coming out, then reconnected the hose.

I don't really know how to bleed out the air properly, but i opened 4 of the injector lines just a turn and a half each, ran the starter for a good while, then immediately tightened those 4 down again. while doing so i noticed a tiny bit of fuel bubble up on one of them during the tightening.

What should I do? My van gets towed at 7pm.

·
93 Posts
I just did this process on a 1989 7.3 non turbo. on the fuel filter mount there was a shrader valve. I jumped the starter at the relay on the left fender while holding the shrader open. This allows air to purge from the filter while the engine is cranking. do it in 10 or 15 second cranks until the fuel is comming out of the shrader. The injector pump and injectors are self purging, but the practice of loosening the injector lines is acceptable and lets you know when fuel is present at the injectors. tighten it all back up and you should be ready for a start. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts