The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody thats on here know how to clear/clean the crankcase vent or should i wait till moparman gets back on here since hes a never ending book of knowledge

·
1,055 Posts
I got rid of mine by extending the tube down the frame rail, no more messy bottle on the front of the motor.

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you think you could post a pic of what you did to it bc i really need to get this figured out bc the engine compartment is covered in oil residue and before the crash happened somebody on here told me that its my crankcase vent thats plugged or blocked or something

·
1,055 Posts
I don't have a photo, but I try and get one.
It is very easy. Pull the canister off, get the clear heater hose with the mess in it to fit the male end on the canister.
Then you will need a double barbed male adapter and two hose clamps. Get about 10 to 12' of the hose.
Run the new hose from the hose already attached to the block, use the double male to attach the two together, use the hose clamps.
Run the hose down to the frame rail and then inside until you run out of hose.
Mine ends just behind the cab. No more stupid canister to empty.
I will try and get some photos, but I can never get them to post. It is very easy to do.

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright thanks i had no idea that there was even a canister so it might be full and leaking and thats my problem

·
1,055 Posts
Yep, its a nasty little bottle, you are suppose to empty it like every oil change, just get rid of it.

·
157 Posts
MoparMan, I see you used pvc pipe. I assume that it isn't free floating, so where and how did you connect it to the engine? I work in the natural gas field, and go up and down a lot of steep well roads, and oil loss is a problem.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!!!!
111 Posts
Have not done mine yet but moparmans idea seems real good.... That man is that man.... Yeah i was wondering if that was pvc and if so how did u get that to work on ur truck

·
TDG Mafia
651 Posts
I used an aluminum tube, kind of like that from a broom handle and cut it to fit. Simply put the aluminum tube into the rubber hose, secured with a hose clamp, than secured further down with zip ties. Mine however goes straight down just below the frame rails, so anything that blows just goes under the truck. I like Mopar Mans deal...next time, I'll do it that way....

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
MoparMan, I see you used pvc pipe. I assume that it isn't free floating, so where and how did you connect it to the engine? I work in the natural gas field, and go up and down a lot of steep well roads, and oil loss is a problem.
That exactly what I built mine for I do a lot of off-road operation skidding trees and hauling firewood. So The pipe is routed from the stock breather outlet up and over the engine and drop down behind the starter. This point the end of the tube at its highest point as the noise of the truck is headed down hill. This keeps the oil in the crankcase better than just the stock breather or extending straight down. Like a snowmobile you could roll my truck upside down it would never leak...:haha

Look at a snowmobile and look at the vent on the fuel tank and see how its route and you'll understand my design. As for mounting I zip-tied mine to the rear hoist ring on the engine...

Have not done mine yet but moparmans idea seems real good.... That man is that man.... Yeah i was wondering if that was pvc and if so how did u get that to work on ur truck
Yes its PVC I've made several for others and this is the completed kit and what it looks like...

Exit point.

·
I Wanna Go Fast!!!!
111 Posts
Does the pvc not get to hot and melt? just a question??? thought bout doin mine the same way as yours and just wanted to make sure before i do

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Does the pvc not get to hot and melt? just a question??? thought bout doin mine the same way as yours and just wanted to make sure before i do
No heat... It's just warm air that comes out and very little if your rings are good and tight like mine are...:D

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
another question on this i looked at the crank case vent today its got that candy cane shaped hose comin off and it looks nasty can i pull that off clean it up and extend it so it goes farther down and is there anyway to empty the case its comin out of

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
another question on this i looked at the crank case vent today its got that candy cane shaped hose comin off and it looks nasty can i pull that off clean it up and extend it so it goes farther down and is there anyway to empty the case its comin out of
You mean like this one...

That what my Mod does is get rid of the messy hose and the mess from it droolin on itself.

is there anyway to empty the case its comin out of
Unless you like running without oil in the engine...:bang:

This is cause from sudden stops or traveling steep grades. The only way you can fix that is to do the factory TSB for about $400 bucks or do mine for about $20 bucks...

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2002/09-002-02.htm

If you tip the nose of the truck down and the oil level rises in the gear case well if you extend the hose down all you do is keep the mess off the truck but still loose upwards of 1.0 to 1.5 gallons of oil yet. But in my design as the nose goes down the tube goes up... So the oil doesn't escape out of the crankcase...

I'm a off-road user so I hated the mess and had to find a fix for it...:thumbsup

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks that answers it alot i dont do a lot of major grades of hills like you cuz well i live in nebraska so its flat but i do drive alot of cornfields with my job so i can get into some steep washouts so ill prolly do it your way how did you clear the radiator hose thats right above

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
thanks that answers it alot i dont do a lot of major grades of hills like you cuz well i live in nebraska so its flat but i do drive alot of cornfields with my job so i can get into some steep washouts so ill prolly do it your way how did you clear the radiator hose thats right above
Here is some of my older pics when I was first designing it...

The stock breather bottle junk and mess...

Routing...

Fits behind the radiator hose might rub a bit not to worry though...

Exit point...

Upper radiator hose removed for clarity...

·
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks those pics help alot my hose doesnt have the bottle at the end of it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts