The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retread
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a '97 12v that has 200k on it. He would like to get more power. I know nothing about 12v motors. I am more acustom to the electronically controlled variety. I know he needs to start with exhaust, intake and guages. His clutch is new a year ago. He states that the fuel seems to cut off at about 2200 rpms. I told him he probably needs a fuel plate although I have no idea what kind. He is on a small budget and would just like to get some life back into an old, but nice truck. Any advise is appreciated.
Shawn

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
First thing would be grind the fuel plate to a #100 or #0 as described here:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6815
Then shim the governor springs as described here:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15496
Here's the plate profiles:
http://thedieselgarage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15860&d=1202009991

The plate will give more power, and the spring shims will give a greater RPM range. Both of these only cost time and two washers if you have the tools

·
3,514 Posts
You're up in the Sac. area aren't you? I live out by the coast but work over in stockton, and I go up to the Tahoe area a bit. Send me a pm and well figure out how to get this thing turned up to a decent level for him, on the cheap side of things.
Sean

·
I like beer.
4,301 Posts
The setup in my signature as said produced 249/588 back in october. I would assume perhaps if my tranny held somewhat better then/was built a little better would have done 25/50 more or so. I would say to make MY truck hit 300 would just add a set of injectors but then I would have to watch my EGTs closer or buy a turbo that flows more air. Its all one big puzzle really.

Bottom line for me though, if I had a transmission that was in great working order, I could and would say I would be content with the power my truck puts down, at least for the time being-

·
Retread
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could someone translate BHAF as I am not in the know. Thanks. Oh, and where do I get one.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
NukleusX said:
The setup in my signature as said produced 249/588 back in october. I would assume perhaps if my tranny held somewhat better then/was built a little better would have done 25/50 more or so. I would say to make MY truck hit 300 would just add a set of injectors but then I would have to watch my EGTs closer or buy a turbo that flows more air. Its all one big puzzle really.

Bottom line for me though, if I had a transmission that was in great working order, I could and would say I would be content with the power my truck puts down, at least for the time being-

A tranny is key to making power on the dyno. If it slips not only does than energy go to heat instead of the rear wheels, but it also doesn't allow the dyno to load the engine as much. This loading is an important factor, maybe not an extreme amount with less than 500hp, but when your looking for tripple digits, it can be a 100+hp difference.

You should be able to pull off 300-350hp with stock injectors. Some 215's would be capable of 4-500hp if you feed them well :sly:

·
4,827 Posts
Gonna be big difference in power from a '94 auto to a '97 manual. 65 stock hp difference.

A #10 plate alone is rated at 330hp in a '96-'98 5spd.

IIRC, one of the guys I know of on the TDR was putting down 425hp with a '98 12v 5spd (same hp as a '97 5spd). Has a 10 plate, 3k GSK, stock injectors and 191 DVs and PDR HX40 turbo.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
3K GSK is a Governor Spring Kit that lets your rig fuel to 3,000 RPMs. Same for the 4K at 4,000 RPMs. They really wake your rig up, especially the 4K. It's about $200 or so. But for cheap, you can shim them out with washers to 3K or so.

·
Registered
964 Posts
GSK Governor spring kit Get the 4k!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts