The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about using a set of stock leaf springs on my 96 F350. The problem is they came out of a beat to hell donor truck and I am not sure if they are still good. I do have an add-a-leaf kit sitting on a shelf I am thinking about using with them. But how do I find out if they can still hold the weight of that Power Stroke? I do plan to strip them down to bare metal and look for cracks, but what else can I do to make sure they are still serviceable?

·
3,533 Posts
Most likely, you will need new Bolts, "U" bolts, links, and bushings, You can buy springs from Dayton, or Rock Auto, directly they are cheap why even mess around with old springs. They have done their job for 15 years.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had planned on new bushing and U bolts. I even picked out a nice set of poly bushings. The reason I am thinking about useing these is because I have them and cannot afford new ones. I had a custom set made by Deaver spring and they DO NOT fit. That was a grand down the drain. So, I am stuck with whatever I have laying around. Besides, I decided to take some of the lift out anyway. I would like to lower the truck a bit and run some smaller tires.

·
3,533 Posts
If the spring stack is tight then it should be good.
If they are corroded, and the leafs are spread out then they are junk. Take them apart, clean and paint them, assemble, they will look good. Money is always a limiting factor in repairs.

·
2,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it is. That is why this one has drug on soooooo long. The do look good. Other than some surface rust I do not see any issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts