The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got this truck for $1500 guy needed money he was in debt.... anyways he said it was burning oil cuz it was leaking from the tubo so i went and changed the O rings it stopped burning oil then i drove it for a little bit it went down a quart so i looked in my fuel filter LOTS of oil and looks black i did some research its the O rings on the injectors so thats got to be the main reason so i changed those re installed injectors and went to fire the truck up got 4 to 5 loud cranks then i stopped then it ticked i was like ok the starter went out or something and it turns out its more than likely bad i tried to jump the starter with a screwdriver across both contacts and it goes click every time i do it so the starter is bad i checked the wiring it all seems good batteries are good so my main question is when i get my new starter how do i unhydro lock my engine from the oil/fuel i have glow plugs out and the injectors are in still i was told to take glow plugs out and crank it over a few times till all the oil spews out then replace glow plugs and start it up is that true? its 1995 OBS 7.3l POWERSTROKE 273k miles

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
Pull the glow plugs.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
And then turn it over BY HAND! Use a breaker bar and socket on the crankshaft pulley and turn over two turns at least.

·
3,051 Posts
Yes, you want to turn it slowly at first as Dave mentioned.

Bent connecting rod is a common result of a fuel or oil hydro-lock condition if it locks while running or cranking to fast.

So now the question is, how did this all turn out, does it run now?

Harry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts