The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know from everybody how they break-in their new diesels ?
Some break them in "hard" others baby them... so what's better to to? :evil:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
When we got our 2006 f-250 i took it out that night and dogged the crap out of it...Problems to date 2 bad injectors, LPOP and HPOP under warranty and now head gaskets...all this at 150k miles and driven hard since day 1.:)

·
3,939 Posts
Did you want to make this into a poll?

I've believed that you should drive a vehicle hard right from the get-go, ever since my Dad told me a story about their Airport Authority Cars.
They had two identical Olds Cutlasses. One was driven up north and back at high speeds soon after it was bought. The other toiled at the airport, not driven hard at all. This second car was a total dog. But the first one ran like a raped ape and had more get-up than you'd believe a 2bbl 350 should have. I should know, because I got that car from my dad when I turned 16 and drove it all through high school. Maybe I'm FOS, but thats what I believe.

I'd do the first oil change on a shorter interval, though. Maybe around 1000 miles.

·
3,754 Posts
Well the owners manual on the d max says dont tow for first 500 miles. When installing all jasper engines they said dont beat it dont baby it. Dont get out ont he highway and set the cruise but dont do all city driving either. Personally I know many trucks that are put to work from day one (companie drivers beat, pulling loads from day one), but personally I drove my new truck like normal, once and awhile id step on it, but fairly normal accelerations, mix of highway and city.

·
4,827 Posts
For not towing the first 500 miles, is more for the rear end.

Run hard, keep idling to a minimum. Helps the rings seat in properly. Don't just set the cruise. Vary the engine speed some.

Pulling a trailer helps to break in the engine better, and quicker.

·
150 Posts
I also was confused on the proper break in method so I took it easy for the first 100 miles and varied my speed, after that I would accelerate fully then bring it back down. I also made sure that I did not use any additves for the first 1500 miles.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
When I get a truck, it is ran hard from the very first turn of the key by me. I dont go full throttle all the time, but I get on it some. As stated before, change the oil at a 1/3 of recomended interval, then run it like you stole it.

And the setting of the rings, I read that when rebuilding a diesel. Run it down the road for the first time, punch it to 30MPH then let off, then punch it 40MPH let off, then punch it to 50MPH and let off. Has anyone else heard of this, it was in a old Chilton, and I do mean really old! Early 80's I think? (old for a diesel manual, dont get offended you old timers!)

Tony

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
When i bought the truck I was at the dealership with a bullydog Power pup in my hand. I walked outside and downloaded it. I let it warm up for a few minutes and put the peddle to the floor:woot:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also for myself, I keep it a bit easy for the first 500mi then I'll get gradually to full throttle. There are so many people of breaking engines it differently, so I thought to see which way is the most prefferred one.
I put on the SuperChip and the dual exhaust on at 1000mi and have the tow/performance setting programmed (60hp). The enginge stopped giving better milage for about 2000mi until I hauled my 32ft camper around, then I ended up yesterday at 20mpg hand calculated and gained about 1.5 mpg at 6000mi.
A friend of mine has a 06 LBZ ext cab with 25000mi on it, never towed trailer, same mods done like my truck and get's worse fuel milage. :shrug:

·
326 Posts
I just had a new motor put in mine because of a mechanics incompitence. I ran it pretty hard for the first 200 miles then I put my programer on it and let the smoke roll.

·
Registered
129 Posts
With a little help from the guys on here, I think I did a great job breaking mine in...

1st 250 miles no towing
250-700 miles towed a 4,000lb cargo trailer over the cascade mountains doing 70-75mph... (did great, but got crappy mileage)...

Then brought her home drove her down to california (1300 miles) with out a load, and brought back my new 28ft trailer.. (7,000lbs) Had good mileage down, crappy on the way back due to a ton of wind I think.

Now Im at 3500 miles and Im heading to the dealership to get the oil changed for the first time...

=)

:smoke

Go diesel GO!!!

·
TDG Mafia - Booze Runner
3,705 Posts
Didn't tow and varied RPM's for about 500 Miles, then drove it like normal :evil:

·
3,514 Posts
CAT runs all there new motors at WOT for 1.5hours on an engine dyno before ever installing them into a truck or piece of equipment. Or so I've been told by CAT mechanics. The next thing they do, when I new piece of equipment is delivered to the dealership, is take it through a proving ground, to make sure everything works properly. I've since some of the proving grounds and what they are put through. for many dozers and loaders and other pieces of equipment, the first day of their life is probably the hardest.

Also, when I was building motorcylce race engines, for break in we would let them come up to temp, and then go and just beat the hell out of them for about 20mins, It would really help the rings seat. Even with stock components, you could tell the difference between a bike broken in that way, and a bike broken in easy.

Unfortunately, I haven't bought myself a brandnew truck yet. So I can't speak specifically to that, just engines in general.
Sean

·
Registered
170 Posts
as quoted from my cummins tech when i got my 99 back with a brand new non 53 block and internals. he said, "change the oil after the first 500 miles. thats it. oh and if anything, work the hell out of, tow heavy and hard, let it cool down for a few minutes before you stop regardless or a turbo timer, but just give it hell, everything seats better."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts