The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a 1.5" leveling kit on today and my steering wheel is way off ? I know I need an alignment but how do you recenter the steering wheel without the alignment???

·
356 Posts
Mine is an '04 so yours may be different but there should be a tie rod(?) going from your steering box to another tie rod that has an adjustment sleeve in it. Adjusting this will get your wheel close enough to center until you get your alignment done.

Scott

·
571 Posts
Correct, loosen the bolts at both ends of the drag link (bar that runs between the pitman arm on the steering box and the tie rod). With both ends loosened twist the bar. You may have to use a pipe wrench. Since you lifted the truck a bit the distance from the steering box to the far side of the tie rod has lengthened so you need to rotate the drag link so that the distance lengthens.
Park your truck with the tires pointed straigt ahead. Twist the drag link until the steering wheel is straight. It should only take a couple of turns. (check to make sure you're going the right way)
Tighten everything back up and you're done.

·
1,240 Posts
I just turned the link in the tie rod on mine without taking any bolts loose, worked fine fo me. Here's a tip, 1/2 turn with turn the wheel about 2 deg. or so

·
571 Posts
Make sure you're turning the "drag link" not the "tie rod". If you turn the tie rod you will screw up your alignment (toe-in/tow-out)
The bolts you loosen are the ones on each end of the rod that clamp down on the threads. Tightening them keeps the rod from turning on it's own.

·
9 STECK
164 Posts
You won't need an alignment, as you only went 1.5", and did not screw with the tie rod. The toe in/out should not have been changed, so it is still at factory specs. I had an 8.5" lift on my last truck, an 02, no alignment, just corrected the steering wheel, and got an adjustable trac bar, drove straight down the road, no hands, on 38's, unless I hit a bump, but thats a whole other story.
Hope this helps
OFH
:usflag

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys worked perfect!!!!

·
Banned
6,478 Posts
When you do this do you still end up with equal number of turns of the steering wheel? Like from center do you still get the same number of turns to the right as to the left?

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
wastedwagesracing said:
When you do this do you still end up with equal number of turns of the steering wheel? Like from center do you still get the same number of turns to the right as to the left?
yes.

Garrett

1 - 9 of 9 Posts