The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all like to play with the big toys, but what do you do with them??
O/O , driver, both, mech, fleet owner, fill in the blank
Longhaul ,short haul ,heavy haul, log, toy

·
410 Posts
O/O, one dump truck and trailer, heavy haul 105,500, crushed rock, asphalt, sand, dirt, etc., mostly road construction and delivering aggregate materials to manufacturing plants for concrete, blocks, bricks, pipes, etc. Have gone from doing 20-30% of my mechanical work to 80-90% because of the economy and because I found I liked doing it. Used to drive west coast over the road in the winter but quit that because of the working conditions and pay.

Like Black Dog106 above like a square peg in a round hole. I am a white male with no disability so I am at the end of the line for work sometimes. The last time I recall being asked to be at the head of the line I was 18 and carrying an M16!

·
525 Posts
How do you fit in the transport industry puzzle ??

Like a square peg in a round hole...:damnit
Yeah,agreed. Was just thinking this morning as i was streaking across I80 in PA (those are speed limit signs,correct?) with 50K on the deck hoping the scales were closed,mightily exceeding all soot and NOx levels and just generally enjoying a great running truck,that i feel like quite a dinosaur and my days of this much fun with a truck are #ed . Let's face it, the gov't,average Joe motorist,big trucking execs all hate me. The only ones who don't are my customers that KNOW their freight will be there BEFORE promised on a sharp truck by a friendly, daily groomed driver. I'm out.

·
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should tell my piece ,
Grew up on a ranch, liked to tear machines apart, later learned that they had to be put back together. When I got out of highschool you couldn'tget much work ,luckily a friend got me a job driving a stock pile truck on a gravel crusher crew. tryed to get a mech apprenticeship , but couldn't so took a welding apprentice ship when that came up. Did some more driveing. bought a gravel truck did that for a while , then tryed long haul. got stiffed for 3 months work.
Drove for other guys for a while. Got a job at a diesel shop worked on trucks for a while. rigged up a service truck, fixed stuff , Bought the '88 379 longhood , hauled flat bed and ran the service truck. economy crashed again. wore out service truck. rigged up a cargo trailer(why didn't I do this a long time ago) The 379 hauls an occasional load and pulls My son's Short course offroad race truck.(more stuff to fix)

·
114 Posts
Yeah,agreed. ,mightily exceeding all soot and NOx levels and just generally enjoying a great running truck,that i feel like quite a dinosaur and my days of this much fun with a truck are #ed .
Sometimes in the morning while waiting my turn at the asphalt plant or otherwise any time where we're waiting in line, I'll position myself between 2 California clean idle trucks so I don't feel as bad (for a second) when I hit the gas on my polluter.

For the original question, I are an O/O. Dump trailer mainly, but sometimes hopper bottom and flatbed...the more and more I pull a flatbed the more I enjoy it, though its rare.

Some pix of my junk...

Attachments

·
HAYMAFIA
110 Posts
Broker and haul hay in the texas panhandle, oklahoma and new mexico. we have a freightliner, a kw, two flatbeds and 2 dodges and 40' goosenecks. we stay pretty busy. i was raised hauling hay and driving. do all of my own maintenance including flats.

·
168 Posts
O/O, my own mechanic(unless I just dont have the tools to handle the big stuff), mostly longhaul, basicly a general sloot for money, lol. If it pays good it will be on my truck. Now I have a rgn with a stinger so legally I can gross 112,500, most so far was 98k. Likeing the rgn lots more. Anybody notice that the heavy stuff doesn't pay?

·
217 Posts
O/O (steering wheel holder) hauling auto part's and still find way's to have fun doing it....It's becoming more like a business and less and less fun IMO...

·
Diesel Dubbah
68 Posts
I turn wrenches during the day for a local fleet. Also an O/O with one truck and work for the company I turn wrenches for. Also do all my own work except paint on my truck and personal vehicles.

·
Still Diggin
634 Posts
I just haul grain and grass seed for our operation with the truck in my avatar. I would like to get a truck and hopper bottom to custom haul with, but cant seem to find the time or way to make it work money wise.

·
132 Posts
O/O just starting out with a dump trailer. Right now I plow with my pickup, and haul snow with the truck and trailer (unless the guy picks a dump site on non level terrain; then I sit out). Trying to get my foot in the door with a construction company this spring doing demo and asphalt. Already sent in my packet with reg./permit/ins./medical card copies. I do as much work on my equipment as possible, but I'm still learning. I have limited access to tools and garaging, and many tasks are still out of my league. But I want to learn, and I'm sure I will. Sites like this are great for advice and information.

·
3,533 Posts
I drove transport for a year down south, decided that was not for me. Went back to school. did a pre-apprenticeship program, worked in a logging camp for 5.5 years, everything from the last wooden tree to the first computerized yarder, boom mechanic, donkey doctor, truck mechanic, Served apprenticeship there, licenced in 1973, 10 years at Waterous minus one day, 3.5 years at Byers Transport, 20 years art Freightliner. Retired, Moonlighted all m life. Still have my class one licence.

·
50 Posts
Bought a rollback about 3 years ago to haul my own equipment. Started hauling stuff locally for hire, mostly tractors and other farm equipment, scrap, cars and trucks, pretty much anything that will fit. Bought a single axle dump 2 years ago, use it for roofing take-offs and hauling material for my other jobs, building pole barns, installing gravel for driveways. Picked up a tag trailer last year so I can pull the skiddy with the dump to the job instead of using the rollback, saves a trip a lot of times. Haul gravel, dirt, sand, or whatever for other people some, but it's hard to compete with the tri-axles around here. I don't know how those guys make any money, I sure as hell can't at their rates having to make 3 trips to haul the same volume, lol. Have a contract plowing streets in the local town with the dump this year. Then 1 or 2 days a week I help out a buddy running his milk route for a little extra cash and to get my fix of driving a 'real' truck, lol. Not your typical truck driver I suppose. Never gets boring though...

·
Wanna be door swinger
422 Posts
O/O pulling a reefer doing LTL freight every week out of Wisconsin to the east coast. Plus I'm also the head mechanic, bean counter, sales rep, and every other job for my big 1 truck operation.

·
316 Posts
heavy haul fleet. dad and mom started the place with one truck and a pot now we have over 70 trucks and 300 trailers. We are the largest steerable beam haulers in the midwest. Went to school to wrench and now i drive:confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts