The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The used truck (1994, F250 PS) I bought a couple of years ago has been chipped. There are gages, Pyro and boost, on the dash. Also a sticker on the radiator frame that looks like an official ford thing. The guy I bought it from did not know anything about it.

How can I find out what was done?

Boost goes to 15# tops when towing a boat up hill. The truck runs great other than a few little things I can live with.

Just curious.

·
6,337 Posts
Where in Oregon are you? Is it a Powerstroke or a 7.3? The sticker is a reflash... But give some more info...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reflash?

CSIPSD .. thanks for the answer.

Portland, west side.

Direct injected turbo diesel. One of the first powerstrokes made.

I am on a quest to disconnect the exhaust backpressure valve. My rig does not match the photos on that thread. But since I am working on this truck not just driving it .. it would be nice to know what I've got.

·
6,337 Posts
I doubt if its chipped but if it is you'll see one on the computer... Too bad its a PIA to get to on the OBS... But your boost #'s are about where a stocker should be... How many miles? Auto? Why you unhooking the EBV?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bpv .. Obs .. Pia .. Lol

Hi ... abbreviations. You got me laughing.

PIA and BPV got those but don't know OBS.

300K miles, Manual 5 speed. It's the tow rig for a saltwater boat. Lately it's my daily driver. BPV is popping on and off for the first 15 minutes on the way to work. This is the first winter driving since I bought it two years ago. Had no idea what was wrong and you guys clued me in. I now know it is what programmers refer to as 'a design feature'.

Don't like the total loss of power. People look at you like you're retarded on the freeway when you can only get 45 out of your powersmoke truck. If I back off on the throttle for a second the valve resets for 10 -15 seconds and then starts hissing and dogging out again.

I realize the truck is old and I know how to drop the shovel when I find myself in a hole but ....

The BPV is a PIA and it has to go away.

Edit ... where is the computer? so I can look for a sticker.

·
6,337 Posts
Old Body Style... You could fix it with a new EB sensor, but unpluging it should keep it open. Just be sure to give the truck a chance to warm before romping away!

Nothing wrong with 300k, if takin care of they will go 4-500,000

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Too bad its a PIA to get to on the OBS...
:umno: Its a breeze...take off the three nuts that hold the emergency brake pedal on underneath the dash and its right there. Id rather put a chip in a OBS than a SD anyday.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
Yup...its right there cant miss it. If it is stock there will be a black plastic plug toward the back of the truck with a code on it like "SOD3" or something with three letters and one number. That is your PCM code. You will need that if you are going to put a chip in it. If it has a chip there will be something in that port..(of coarse).

·
6,337 Posts
diesel dan said:
:umno: Its a breeze...take off the three nuts that hold the emergency brake pedal on underneath the dash and its right there. Id rather put a chip in a OBS than a SD anyday.

I never chipped my OBS but everyone that I tell not to get a stock because you can pull the chip tells me its a PIA to get too... DID I MISS SOMETHING???:pointlaugh <--- to me...LOL

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
CSIPSD said:
I never chipped my OBS but everyone that I tell not to get a stock because you can pull the chip tells me its a PIA to get too... DID I MISS SOMETHING???:pointlaugh <--- to me...LOL
Well....at Smokin' in April, Jody was putting a chip in one of Waynes friends truck and he had to take the chip out cause it was having problems, and he was dreading taking it back out and I told him my little "tip" and he didnt even know about it. LOL

·
6,337 Posts
well hit me with a tack hammer because I am an idiot...LOL

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
CSIPSD said:
well hit me with a tack hammer because I am an idiot...LOL
Hmmm, not even gonna touch that one. Okay, maybe I'll just e-mail it to your wife :sofa

Carkington,
I've got an OBS in PDX also (had to throw in another acronym)... Are you having trouble finding the plug for the EBPV actuator? Mine's a 1995 and it was easy enough to find with the cover off the engine. I can take a photo of the area if you want. As you can see from my signature file, you've got me on total mileage, but not by much! Not sure if I just had a better original PCM program, but mine pulled better boost than that when box stock and towing uphill. I suppose it depends on the grade of the hill too ;). I live on Mt. Scott and get to see some uphill boost all the time when I climb the hill on my way home. Under the right load I have squeaked 27 psi out of mine with the current mods.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
45 Posts
I never chipped my OBS but everyone that I tell not to get a stock because you can pu

Initial install is a pain. Computer needs to be removed to clean coating off of terminal. I even had to file computer body to get chip to plug in all the way(Banks). It is recommended that duct tape be used to insure chip stays put. After initial install chip can be accessed from behind emergency brake.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
CSIPSD said:
It's a pita if you try to pull it from inside the cab. From the firewall is the way to go. We need to credit BJS for his OBS chip install article and write up in the tech/article section. Well done BJS:Thumbup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
diesel dan said:
Well....at Smokin' in April, Jody was putting a chip in one of Waynes friends truck and he had to take the chip out cause it was having problems, and he was dreading taking it back out and I told him my little "tip" and he didnt even know about it. LOL
Your little tip is taking the 3 nuts off? Are you saying Jody didn't know about that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BPV problem solved

Micheal .. the brake controller went TU. I unplugged it and no more problem. Except of course the brake does not work .. it never worked, actually.

I would be leery of changing this truck as many miles as it has on it. It tows the boat well, only lacking on steep grades like Hwy 18 in the Van Duzer and Highway 6 going to Tillamook. I have to shift to lower gears and grind up the hill.

Does it make any sense to chip an old rig? Do you also have to change the injectors and other things?

Don't want to dig a hole. Have too many of those now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It is really easy to do. It takes me about 5 minutes to change chips.
First take a phillips screw driver and remove to 2 screws that secure the plastic trim on the front of the door jam. One is on the floor and the other is next to the dash.
Second, use a deep 13mm socket to remove the 3 nuts that hold the Ebrake on and then pull the pedal towards the clutch. It only has to move 3 inches.
Third, pull the rubber plug that is on the lower part of the PCM and clean the contacts with a lint free cloth and some rubbing alcohol.
Fourth, insert chip and use duct tape to secure it on both sides of the PCM.
Fifth, replace Ebrake and trim and start it up. This is a 5 minute job.

·
Destroked
1,658 Posts
twildman said:
Your little tip is taking the 3 nuts off? Are you saying Jody didn't know about that?
Im just trying to help a guy to find out if his truck has a chip in it the EASY way...if you wanna tell him to take the fender well out and go that route be my guest. But, most ppl dont know that they can go through the e brake...:poke: And as for Jody, he wasnt aware that he could access the chip that easy through that route either.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Carkington said:
Micheal .. the brake controller went TU. I unplugged it and no more problem. Except of course the brake does not work .. it never worked, actually.

I would be leery of changing this truck as many miles as it has on it. It tows the boat well, only lacking on steep grades like Hwy 18 in the Van Duzer and Highway 6 going to Tillamook. I have to shift to lower gears and grind up the hill.

Does it make any sense to chip an old rig? Do you also have to change the injectors and other things?

Don't want to dig a hole. Have too many of those now.
So it was a trailer brake controller causing your EBPV problems? Weird!

As far as other mods, you don't need injectors with a chip, but you would need them to get significant (100+ hp) gains out of an OBS 7.3L. I would start with an exhaust system (including downpipe), and a free-flowing (Tymar or similar) intake. These are relatively cheap mods which provide power and mileage improvements on their own, and will complement a chip or downloader by lowering exhaust gas temperatures.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

1 - 20 of 20 Posts