The Diesel Garage banner

How do you reach 400 horses?

5K views 60 replies 23 participants last post by  Fast_Ashley 
#1 ·
I got a '00 F-250 SD PSD. It is a manual. I am wanting a reliable street truck but I am wanting to shut up the ricers around here. What can I do to reach around 400 horses without selling my left nut?LOL

#3 ·
Fuel and air is all you need, but as the old adage goes, too much is never enough

Seriously, get in contact with somebody like beans diesel performance or the like they will set you up right with a nice set of injectors, hotrod turbo, and other supporting mods.

BTW 400 is pushing it with PMR's Check if you have them or not.

#4 ·
With no mods currently on your truck, you'll need:

- Intake
- Exhaust
- Gauges
- Clutch
- Turbo upgrade - either mod the stock turbo (ATS housing and 1.0 turbine housing), a van turbo, a TN drop in turbo, or if you want to spend a few extra bucks get a GTP38R.
- Regulated return fuel system.
- Chip tuned specifically for your mods.........

Now here is where you can choose the route you want to go:
- If you want to keep the stock injectors, then get a big oil setup (Terminator, Stealth, BTS, etc), and spray some NOS.
- Or go with some stage II's, and depending on your HPOP, you may or may not need big oil, but it will help.

#6 ·
I've had my rincon since the beginning of december. Got to the first fuel change and my buddies were going riding that morning and I thought to myself, self...it won't hurt to put another ride on it before I change the oil. Bad idea. I was going down a hill, rear end locked up, started to come up off the ground and I panicked. I grabbed the front brakes and it flipped over on top of me. 4 ribs out of place, head contusion and bruises was all I got. The Rincon had 4100 bucks worth of damage to it. Just got it back last night. Thank god for insurance. I love it. I had it up to 63mph and it handled like a champ. Sure it doesn't have the power of some of the other 4x4s but it handles the best. Check out rinconriders.com. It is devoted solely to rincons and all the guys are top notch. I am apart of that and I go by fordguysmith on there if you ever head over that way, gimme a shout.

#7 ·
Well, I am trying to order an AEM Workhorse intake or just go with the Brute Force. Exhaust is either going to be a 4" or 5" straight pipe and my buddy is going to do it at his exhaust shop down the road. I believe my dad has a DD clutch in the garage that he had for his pulling truck that I believe will work. Guages are settin in the garage. I can't start my mods yet because the truck's in the body shop and I'm in high school. I can't start doing major mods til this time next year because I will have some money saved up, full time job, and be out of school. I have been thinking about going with the stage 1 injectors from bdp, dp tuner, and whatever else I can salvage out of my bank account. Is it better to build up the stock turbo or to buy an aftermarket one?

Also, what are PMRs? And how do I check to see if I have them or not?

#8 ·
jackedupF350 said:
Well, I am trying to order an AEM Workhorse intake or just go with the Brute Force. Exhaust is either going to be a 4" or 5" straight pipe and my buddy is going to do it at his exhaust shop down the road. I believe my dad has a DD clutch in the garage that he had for his pulling truck that I believe will work. Guages are settin in the garage. I can't start my mods yet because the truck's in the body shop and I'm in high school. I can't start doing major mods til this time next year because I will have some money saved up, full time job, and be out of school. I have been thinking about going with the stage 1 injectors from bdp, dp tuner, and whatever else I can salvage out of my bank account. Is it better to build up the stock turbo or to buy an aftermarket one?

Also, what are PMRs? And how do I check to see if I have them or not?
PMR stands for Powdered Metal connecting Rod
Do a 4" downpipe with 5" strat pipe, I'd get a T304 from

#9 ·
You dont have PMR's if your a 2000... No worries.

Dont waste your money on the stock turbo, once you start modding you will never be done... I started with a WW, then added a ATS housing and then a Turbomaster wastegate control... and then a GTP-38r.... and then a 1.15 housing... it never ends...

Chelsea's (my wife) rig is jumping straight to a Turbonetics T-60 size turbo...

#10 ·
jackedupF350 said:
I got a '00 F-250 SD PSD. It is a manual. I am wanting a reliable street truck but I am wanting to shut up the ricers around here. What can I do to reach around 400 horses without selling my left nut?LOL

hey, i have pretty much the same truck, except mine's an auto. i'm doing pretty much everything you are. but like you asked, how can i reach 400 hp? question for anyone who has done it, what would an upgraded turbo do with stock injectors? is that a good idea? i dont have very much money to throw around either, so is it smart to do the turbo upgrade without injectors or what? i think this should answer both our questions.

#11 ·
Turbo on stock injectors will work fine... about a 30-50hp gain with a hot tune. I ran the GTP38r with stock sticks for a while and the turbonetics, both were great!

#12 ·
Basically my mods when finished will keep me under 400 hp. Going to do a dual HPOP and tranny last, but still keep the stock injectors. Most setups with the hpos and stock sticks and all the supporting mods nets around 340-360 hp at the rear wheels. That should be enough power for me to play with, but keep the engine happy without breaking one of the PMR's.

Ohhhh, I need to update the link in my sig, I've got more mods on the list.

#13 ·
what years did they put pmr's in?? i got an 01 build date is dec. 2000

#16 ·
:stupid: I agree, don't let the PMR's scare ya.

I've got Terminator Big Oil, 180cc Stage 1's, and Dp-Tuner tunes.
Pretty sure I'm knocking on 400's door.

Stock turbo (except 1.0 housing and WW) and stock tranny, cept valve body and Ford triple disk converter.

Ricer's are generally no problem for me. :pointlaugh

#17 ·
So let's say that I go with a GTP-38r turbo, stage 1 injectors, DP-Tuner, 4" downpipe w/5" straightpipe, AEM Brute Force intake...would that be pretty close to 400? Or am I forgetting a few things? Also, how much louder is the 5" straightpipe than a 4"?

#18 ·
more like 350 If you had Big oil in there then yes closer to 400.Scrap the stage 1's and go 2's single shots then you'll hit 400.

I don't like the flutter of a straight pipe exhaust system.

#19 ·
If I were to go with stage 2 singles, would I need to do somethin to the fuel system or get an aftermarket one?

#20 ·
no not really needed.Might be something you would want to do in the future though.CSIPSD has a set of what i would consider stage 2's and he doesn't have one.He has a fuel psi gauge also might want to ask him how much he drops.

#24 ·
I would recommend beans stage 2 single shots, Tony Wildman tuning and a hypermax h2e.

#25 ·
And don't forget to change to the kevlar bushing on your input shaft when you change the clutch. I have a LUK in mine and and never had a problem with the clutch...just those darn needle bearings on the Input shaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.