The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.

How much can you machine the intensifier piston to mathematically flow before you are required to clearance the plunger?

180cc ? 200cc ?

My friend wants to build 200's and I want to know if we will have to do anything besides machine the IP.

Thanks

:smoke

·
1,921 Posts
You can machine the back side of the piston all you want and the plunger will never bottom out. If you machine the open end of the plunger the spring will coil bind before the plunger bottoms out assuming you are refering to AAs. On an AD or AE injector you can take about .030" off the open end and still have a couple thousandths clearance on an AB you can take off about .040" and have about .001" clearance and on an AA you can take off about .140" off and have about .002" clearance. The AA, AD, and AE will bottom out the spring before it will bottom out the plunger. You don't want that spring to be coil binding constantly or it could break. You can take .017" off an AE, .009" off an AD, and .087" of an AA and that will leave you with .002" clearance for coil bind. These are all figures actually mesured so there may be a couple thousandths difference between one injector to the next. I'd probably recomend giving at least about .005" clearance for all those figures so that you don't run the risk of bottoming the plunger or binding the spring. Take as much as you are comfortable with off the closed end of the piston and you'll be good. I've never tried to test how thin you can make the back side of the piston before it will break so like I said just go as far as you dare. The AD pistons are VERY thick on the bottom but you will screw with the primary shot of the split shots by doing that. The ABs are much thinner but do still have some decent meat on them to take away but again will mess with the split shot end of it. The AAs are slightly thicker than the ABs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geoff!

Now for the next question.
What measurement = 1 cc? How much machined of the IP per CC of fuel gained? and is it a fixed amount or is it different for AA,AB,AC,AD,AE etc?

For example you machine off .100 to obtain 160cc's out of AA's.
That's 70cc's of fuel in theory. That means .010 will give you 7 ccs and .001 will give you .7 cc's
When you actually divide you get some long crazy number that's impossible to work with like this. .00142857repeating

I guess the easiest way to get to 200ccs is just go .015 and have 195cc's?

Is there enough on the closed side of an AA plunger to do this?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
??????

·
1,921 Posts
It seems as I recall .016" gave it about 10cc of fuel. I'd have to consult my notes to verify that. Usually if you take about .100" off the piston on an AA that'd give you right about a 160cc injector up from 90cc.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if I want 195's? I can machine 0.15 ???

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awwww come on Cass....

No need to be bashful. Let me have it. :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
LocoMotion said:
What if I want 195's? I can machine 0.15 ???
:nopics
Definately not worthless, but hey photos would be super. You have a lathe Gregrob?

·
1,921 Posts
According to my notes I took .099 off a pitson and got 150cc. So take about .016" or .418mm off the piston to get 10 cc. An AA starts at 90cc so do the math for how ever large you want them.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RacerX said:
:nopics
Definately not worthless, but hey photos would be super. You have a lathe Gregrob?

What do you want photos of?
I have photos from when I built the injectors that are now in my truck, running fine, that people told me I was stupid for doing, etc etc.

No, I don't have a lathe, I have a good machinist, and can measure things.

On edit: Here are some pics I took during the build of my injectors.
http://rides.webshots.com/album/556529462RyGvZA
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2711779720083164471vUcVtP
:)

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Casserly said:
Don't worry about me, I ain't bashful. Just sittin back and taking in the scenery.:popcorn:
What's the point in posting then if you have nothing meaningful to add? :shrug:

Go make some more popcorn. :Thumbup:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gtspowerstroke said:
According to my notes I took .099 off a pitson and got 150cc. So take about .016" or .418mm off the piston to get 10 cc. An AA starts at 90cc so do the math for how ever large you want them.
Thanks Geoff, I appreciate the info.

I'll be doing a another set of 160' Stage 1's, and the 200's with nozzles soon as well.
I'll let you know how it goes!
:thanks:

While we're at it, anyone have any input on Dipaco O-rings? I've heard there have been issues with them and Ford/IH are better?????

Thanks.

·
1,921 Posts
Dipaco externals are all we used at Seattle Injector. I've used a number of internal sets for the B codes but I think they got the Powerstroke internals for Delco or something like that. Supposedly had a problem with them a long time ago but I doubt you'd have any problems with them now. I think they fixed what ever it was they had problems with.

You sure put the injectors together the hard way! After you get the popet valve out flip it over in the vice and disassemble/assemble it that way. Use something to push the nozzle down so the pins engage their holes and screw the nozzle nut on. Sure is a lot easier when you have the right socket to do the work too! Not to mention easier to torque it properly. Also if you don't have the right tools to align the popit valve every once in awhile you'll get one that won't open.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What tool is this you speak of?

Thanks for the info dude.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Interest in the thread was part of asking for photos. Also in can bring in others ideas, input. Others may decide to do their own. Then a thread gets interesting for me. Prefer that to an opinion about someones favorite brand of something, when they don't have a clue how it works.
Looking to bring my machine work in house, lathe shopping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts