The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im not planning on going crazy with my brothers truck. He wants a PPE hot and thats it. He isnt into racing or anything of that nature. He doesnt tow more then 8K lbs and only a few times a year. Just wondering if its really neccasary to get a aftermarket exhaust with what he is trying to do.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
It would be beneficial to get a good exhaust. Just to remove restriction, helps the flow properties with the new programmer.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
I would add an exhaust if I'm adding a programmer. Helps keep the EGT's down, especially when towing. An EGT gauge is a good idea, too.

BTW, dont let him go over +100rwhp on a stock tranny.

·
1,409 Posts
If cost is a factor but noise isn't cut out the muffler and replace it with a piece of pipe. If you don't get in the throttle too much it isn't that loud, but if you hammer on it...

I have pics if you want.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust beneficial?

Using the stock exhaust with the muffler cut out is an improvement over stock, but a very small one...Exhaust costs a bit, but it will bring EGT down (I have gone both routes). If you are planning to use a chip, its really better to go with a good 4" exhaust.

·
18 Posts
If you wanna be cheapo, a straight through muffler or straight pipe will be under $100 by replacing the stock muffler only.

Another cheap route is a 5" single stack striaght pipe from the turbo back, this is what I did and flows nice, but its a little loud.

A cheap 4" exhaust is less than $300. Soo let him make the call.

The PPE does get hot but not long enough to do serious damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts