The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hot can you run egt's pulling uphill and for how long?

Dumb question but I was wondering

·
TDG Mafia Member # 70
426 Posts
i have heard that 1000* is ok, but when you get around 1200* it is not good to stay there long.

correct guys??

·
812 Posts
i have hit 1300 but try not to go over 1100

·
TDG SinglesClub Member#90
497 Posts
I was told by dale at tymer, to not go past 1200.

·
112 Posts
1250 is the Magic number according to Navistar the engine manufacturer. Run 1250 all day long. I personally have my auto defuel set at 1250 so I know when it comes and I go ahead and shift down and hold it 1150 or so.
This that I do is also towing not playing FYI.

·
2,509 Posts
where is your probe. if it is in the down pipe of the turbo 1250 may be pushing it if you hold it there for very long at all. You could be loosing 2 t0 300 degrees between the manifold and turbo downpipe. Mine is in the exaust manifold and I have hit 1600 for a very short period of time with no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
roadblk said:
1250 and don't stay there :Thumbup:

Why?

You can run 1250º pre-turbo for days on end.

You'll be consuming massive amounts of fuel but you won't hurt the engine. ;)

·
77 Posts
I was wondering the samething about EGT's. Mine is pre-turbo on the drivers side and I have hit 1100 and let off the pedal. So is 1150 to 1200 all day towing and playing is fine on the engine?

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Yes, 1250 pre turbo sustained says international

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mine is on the exhaust manifold isn't that were it is suppose to be?

·
2,509 Posts
kip said:
mine is on the exhaust manifold isn't that were it is suppose to be?
yep you fine then

·
102 Posts
How are some of you guys getting sooo hot?

The highest I've hit is around 1200* once in the 110 hp setting. Most of the time I can't get it above 1100*. 90% of the time I'm in the 75hp setting. The probe is in the left side manifold, and I have stock size exhaust straight through to a meduim duty truck muffler w/ just a big, hot, air filter:shrug:

·
2,509 Posts
STROKER #1 said:
maybe because not all of us have an intercooler. :shrug:
bigger injectors help too

·
77 Posts
Would spraying nitrous or C02 on the intercooler help cool the temp down alot? Has anyone tryed it?

·
6,337 Posts
JohnNolen said:
Would spraying nitrous or C02 on the intercooler help cool the temp down alot? Has anyone tryed it?
Sure it would... But you want to fill the tank all the time... Good for the track maybe, but everyday driving...naaaa.

I run water injection to cool my EGT's, I can peg the 1600 pyro easy enough... but pulling most hills, kick it out of OD and bring the RPM's up, all day at 1200-1250... Passing you can go above that for 10-20 seconds with little worries...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts