The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just needing to know what is the highest tune that i can run towing 15k toy hauler? going to pismo beach this mondayfor some fun.:thumbsup
my truck is a 2006 250 cc lb auto 4by with 40k and 35 inch tires 3.73's, and for the performance part i have 5 inch turbo back exh no cat , 03 turbo, arp's, afe stge 2, zoodad, ccv rerouteee, and gauges,( boost,egt,trans). the current tune i am running while towing is the lowest hp tow tune from dj's, and now that i have arp's can i turn it up as long as i take it easy up the hills? as of now my egts never go past 1250( even when i go all out up some steep grades, which i can only go 55 at max). can i turn it up to maybee 80-90hp tune to tow with? so i wont be struggling.:usflag

·
2,821 Posts
No matter the Tune (or stock) just watch those gauges. Hopefully someone with experience towing that heavy will chime in soon. Chris

Reactions: *2GLAMIS*

·
3,051 Posts
When I tow 5-13k its back to stock. Being you have studs is no guarantee that it can not pop the gaskets, especially towing heavy in hills. Towing puts so much more cylinder pressure on the motor and being big tires and high gearing it is helping apply more pressure. I'm in the same boat. Truthfully, I don't believe these motors can handle towing heavy in hills safely with any tuning other than a transm tune. Although you are correct in letting your right foot regulate the amount of work force on the motor, and you can likely run a 80-90hp tune if you ease back, but then that defeats the idea of using the extra power available. My experience on these engines is they work best at around 2500rpm on hills towing heavy. If you run tuned, they tend to pull harder down low which gives you a feeling of raw power/torque, but thats when the pressures are the highest. Its a russian roulette game towing heavy and tuned with the 6.0, flat ground with no heavy headwinds can likely be done safely enough, but throw in some steep grades and a heavy right foot, trouble will likely follow. Just my opinion, I would play it on the safe side if I were towing your kind of load, studs or no studs. Harry

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Personally i would not use anything more then 40hp. i would personally use a tranny only tune or leave it stock.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the tow tune i use right now is around 40hp i think i will just stick with that. thanks for the help.:thumbsup

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I tow 5-13k its back to stock. Being you have studs is no guarantee that it can not pop the gaskets, especially towing heavy in hills. Towing puts so much more cylinder pressure on the motor and being big tires and high gearing it is helping apply more pressure. I'm in the same boat. Truthfully, I don't believe these motors can handle towing heavy in hills safely with any tuning other than a transm tune. Although you are correct in letting your right foot regulate the amount of work force on the motor, and you can likely run a 80-90hp tune if you ease back, but then that defeats the idea of using the extra power available. My experience on these engines is they work best at around 2500rpm on hills towing heavy. If you run tuned, they tend to pull harder down low which gives you a feeling of raw power/torque, but thats when the pressures are the highest. Its a russian roulette game towing heavy and tuned with the 6.0, flat ground with no heavy headwinds can likely be done safely enough, but throw in some steep grades and a heavy right foot, trouble will likely follow. Just my opinion, I would play it on the safe side if I were towing your kind of load, studs or no studs. Harry
yeh it seems that 2100-2500 is the sweet spot.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the last time i picked my trailer up at the storage, i did not change my tune and i was running the ultracomp form spartan, and that thing pulled like there was nothing there, it would get into that 2nd fourth gear and it put you in the back of your seat pretty good. but i would be afraid to use it for the long haul.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
your cylinder pressures im sure were threw the roof and it is now probably only a matter of time before you see signs of coolant exiting the degass bottle. the power is nice but whats going on inside the motor isnt LOL.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your cylinder pressures im sure were threw the roof and it is now probably only a matter of time before you see signs of coolant exiting the degass bottle. the power is nice but whats going on inside the motor isnt LOL.
if there were high cylinder pressures wouldent i see some high egt's, i bet my heads arnt even on the engine anymore:bang

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
LOL, not necessarily. Some tunes add timing to keep egts down under loads. I think you should be ok. LOL. if your not pukin dont be worried :five

·
345 Posts
heavy towing problems...need opinions

just got to Red River.. I was using the spartan heavy tune with no brake pulling our 13k 5th wheel.... it started blowing coolant while still in texas so I had to set it back to factory tune....now im getting about 8 miles to the gallon where I was geting 10.5-11. egts at factory tune are about 1190 with no incline and the fan runs alot.....leave it stock when towing..its just not worth it. they just repaired a bed plate leak and replaced the EGR valve (again) could this be related to my problems? i also have a mini bike on the front of the truck on a bike rack....would this cause it to run warmer and make the fan run more?...its not very big...doesnt seem like it would to me. i will be putting the mini bike in the bed on the way home. truck is an 06 with 28200 miles on it. ive have just about every part on this engine replaced....I cant believe the trouble i've had with it. here is all thats been done to it before the bed plate work....
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74499

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
Y'all are gonna hate on me, but i pull with my DJ custom race tune. I've pulled my 30' 5th wheel with it, I've pulled my buddy's truck halfway across the US with it... i get better mileage and all the vitals look great. I also put it back to a lighter tow tune every so often. But i don't see much difference in anything but the power and mileage.

and before anyone says "it's only a matter of time", i've been doing this for two years now and have a little over 110,00 miles...... others are stock and have done it. So every truck is different. I've played with the different tunes on mine and this is the one that works better for everything and i'm going to keep doing it until it blow up...... then fix the problem with a cummin's!!:thumbsup

·
345 Posts
have you changed your studs?

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
just needing to know what is the highest tune that i can run towing 15k toy hauler?
My 5er weighs about that. I pull it with a 60hp tow tune. I just got back from the Black Hills and with the cruise set, that tune would keep me at 65mph all the way up every grade I climbed.... I see no need for anything hotter....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My 5er weighs about that. I pull it with a 60hp tow tune. I just got back from the Black Hills and with the cruise set, that tune would keep me at 65mph all the way up every grade I climbed.... I see no need for anything hotter....
:thumbsup that sounds good maybee il go just a little hotter with the tune, but the thing is that mine is not a fifth wheel it is 34 foot on the ball, last time i got it weighed it was right around 14650 and now i am bringing the same load but with 2 more atv's and 2 more dirt bikes, oh and a jet ski:bang
never really had any problems with the truck except for hg's.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Y'all are gonna hate on me, but i pull with my DJ custom race tune. I've pulled my 30' 5th wheel with it, I've pulled my buddy's truck halfway across the US with it... i get better mileage and all the vitals look great. I also put it back to a lighter tow tune every so often. But i don't see much difference in anything but the power and mileage.

and before anyone says "it's only a matter of time", i've been doing this for two years now and have a little over 110,00 miles...... others are stock and have done it. So every truck is different. I've played with the different tunes on mine and this is the one that works better for everything and i'm going to keep doing it until it blow up...... then fix the problem with a cummin's!!:thumbsup
stock bolts? if yes, yeh i am hatttenn. wow a race tune, niccee:thumbsup

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
just got to Red River.. I was using the spartan heavy tune with no brake pulling our 13k 5th wheel.... it started blowing coolant while still in texas so I had to set it back to factory tune....now im getting about 8 miles to the gallon where I was geting 10.5-11. egts at factory tune are about 1190 with no incline and the fan runs alot.....leave it stock when towing..its just not worth it. they just repaired a bed plate leak and replaced the EGR valve (again) could this be related to my problems? i also have a mini bike on the front of the truck on a bike rack....would this cause it to run warmer and make the fan run more?...its not very big...doesnt seem like it would to me. i will be putting the mini bike in the bed on the way home. truck is an 06 with 28200 miles on it. ive have just about every part on this engine replaced....I cant believe the trouble i've had with it. here is all thats been done to it before the bed plate work....
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74499
are you running the stock bolts

·
345 Posts
yep...stock studs! i dont understand why ford didnt change the grade on their studs years ago....if ARP can do it so can ford....would have saved them a lot of warr. work!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts