The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took a 720 mile roundtrip on tuesday and have made some observations which i'm sure we all know to be true but i've put together my plan on increasing my mpgs

well to start off my favorite average highway speed is about 80mph and the rpm is about 2100 and the truck gets about 13.8-14.8mpgs on the highway depending on how consistent the speed is. well I filled up and reset the avg mpg and drove 180miles at or around 70mph where my rpm was lower than the 2k and my mpg come back at 16.8.

I know John G posted up mpg are based on aerodynamic drag at mph and rpms the motor is turning. which I know to be true.

So the way i plan to fix this issue is to install a gear Vendor overdrive unit on the back on the tranny http://www.gearvendors.com/ it will give me a final gear of .55 which will drop my 80mph rpms to 1600rpms which I'm sure will be worth a couple of mpg's beside that it will prolong the life of my tranny and engine. also its nice to have the gear splitting ability for towing big loads.

I also decided instead of cutting my factory driveshaft b/c the gear vendor is usable on any vehicle all thats needed is a different adapter. I going to have mark @ PST http://www.pstds.com/ who built the carbon fiber drive shaft for my harley truck to build me a carbon drive shaft for the superduty which will be alot lighter, stronger, and be better balanced. on my harley truck I drop 50lbs and picked up 15hp and 25tq with the swap. I'm not sure what will be gained but if I want to sell the truck i don't want to give away the goodies.

lastly I will do the dpf delete and tune probably by matt @ Spartan but thats not first on my list I enjoy the truck the way it is for now.

I might put the job2 valence back on to pick up an extra .5 or so

so here's the possible mpg gain break down

gear vendor 2-4 or ? mpg depending on speed
dpf delete and tune about 2mpgs
job 2 valence .5

so any where from 4.5mpg to 6.5mpg gain depending on speed and driving style.

ALL and ALL ford needs a 6 Speed Auto Tranny !!!

please post thoughts and ideas !!!

Nick

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Nick you have way to much time on your hands.............brother.............you know that I kid. GOOD LUCK and let us know
randy

ps trying dropping mph down to 55, and put an egg under your GO pedal.
18-19 mpg easy

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HARLEY6LF250SDU said:
Nick you have way to much time on your hands.............brother.............you know that I kid. GOOD LUCK and let us know
randy

ps trying dropping mph down to 55, and put an egg under your GO pedal.
18-19 mpg easy

I know but I spend alot of time behind the wheel of the truck and trying to figure how to improve the mpg's since diesel prices are outrageous ! I got over 10k in 5 months and its been an awesome truck minus a dash noise !

·
142 Posts
Hope it works!!, Keep us informed! Will the fuel savings out weigh the investment??

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rainman said:
Good luck with that. How would the overdrive unit work in conjunction with a 250HP tune? God forbid that would cause a problem while racing a Dmax!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=autFGntuNqZY

Should have no effect they warranty it up to 1500hp and if you have over 1500hp they can build it to handle whatever your needs are !!

A little piece of info : the diesel dragster that I think ats built has a powerglide with a gearvendor on the back and it goes 7' or 8's !

·
git-r-done
457 Posts
I have thought of a similar setup but just can't justify the investment for how many miles I put on it a year. Sounds like you are a real ro getter for these mods.:Thumbup:
Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Question: do you plan on accumulating all the parts and installing them all at once or do you plan to install one at a time and record the individual improvements? Just a thought.
Great ideas.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TSGS69400 said:
I have thought of a similar setup but just can't justify the investment for how many miles I put on it a year. Sounds like you are a real ro getter for these mods.:Thumbup:
Please keep us posted on the outcome.
Question: do you plan on accumulating all the parts and installing them all at once or do you plan to install one at a time and record the individual improvements? Just a thought.
Great ideas.

1 at a time

seems like the spartan tuner and dpf delete pipe will be first, I have no problem with the dpf or the power of the truck stock it just that I drive in the city all day about 150 miles daily and I own a historic masonary repair and waterproofing company so it seems that every time i'm about to go in a job meeting the truck wants to regen and I hate shutting it off b/c I like to let it fully clean for the 25 minutes or so. I wish I could manually regen instead of waiting for the computer to decide the best time.

the gear vendor and drive shaft will go on at the same time also.

I will do a very comprehensive log session I will be totally unbiased in all my finding if it doesn't really benefit the truck I will say don't waste your time. I do stuff like this to benefit the whole diesel loving community its hopes we will spend less money and more time enjoying.

·
518 Posts
Well good luck to you and thanks for trying all that stuff out for us. Let us know how the dpf delete and tune turn out for you, I really want to do that but Im just paranoid.
Thanks again and good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts