The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just inherited an '03 DMAX with 205k miles. It smokes heavilly under acceleration only. Idles well. And will only start when starting fluid is sprayed into the air cleaner.(cringe) Also it doesn't sound healthy. No turbo whir noise and a knock at mid range speeds.

codes present are:

Fuel Rail pressure
Glow Plug
Mass Air Sensor

(I'll post the exact codes tommorow)

I'm completely ignorant to the diesel. As such, any advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, Wilf.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Pull the codes on the truck and we should be able to help you out. Glad to have you in the ranks of Dmax owners. Hold on to your wallet, its going to be a wild ride, diesels are addictive.

Tony

·
3,939 Posts
wd-40 to start a diesel. starting fluid can do major damage.

Sounds like injectors to me. Check your oil....does it smell like fuel? Is the level higher than normal?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Oil level is reading about three inches high on the dipstick.

Wow so many question to ask... these injectors are pricey!!! Any reviews on a comapany called ETR diesel perfomance? They have an ebay auction that "could be" a good deal. Would anyone sugget just replacing the bad injectors or replacing all 8?

·
Registered
422 Posts
If your oil level is 3 inches high, it sounds like an injector issue. Look and smell for diesel fuel on your dipstick. I would change the oil as soon as possible.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh yea, Welcome to the Garage!

·
3,939 Posts
Its injectors. Sorry to say. You MIGHT be able to get a dealer to warranty them, since you're only 5,000 miles over the limit. It wouldnt hurt to ask.

As for aftermarket in your area, try SoCalDiesel. Guy may have some stockers. RedLineDieselPerformance may also have something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Wilf, I would replace the 8 injectors if at all possible,I just had 8 installed in mine,when testing the originals 4 were completely shot and 2 more on the way out. You have to remove the top pans on these trucks to access the injectors and alot of parts to get to the top pans,trust me you only want to do this once!!! You don`t want to replace some of them now and a few months down the road replace the rest! With regards to checking with the dealer for warranty I had to fight them to change mine and it was still under warranty, good luck! Other than that it is a great truck, that`s the only problem I had with mine in the 5 years I have owned it!

Sandman553

03 Duramax 2500HD Lt SILVERADO EXT CAB Short Box 4x4
99 3500 Silverado 4X4 6.5L
95 2500 GMC 4X4 6.5L
98 Western Star DUMP TRUCK N14 Celect Plus 500hp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wilf these trucks also have a weak O ring where the common fuel rail joins on to the Injection pump causing a loss in fuel pressure, you might want to check that if you are getting a code for fuel rail pressure!

Sandman553!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hey guys. I've been super busy. Here's an update on my LB7 injector saga.

Took the truck to a local mechanic for a diagnostic. Was curious to what the balance rates were after reading a lot of info here.

they charged me 225 for the diagnostic, bascially a tech II?. The Balance rates were all above 3 and a 4 and a five on each side. they wanted 6k for the injector work after they had quoted me a labor only rate of 725.00 I had explained that I had a few lines on remanufactured injectors. They inisted on doing the job for 6k. Then the unthinkable happened. I took some advice from this thread and drove the truck to the dealer. I asked for help on the warranty. They called four days later and said that new injectors would cost a 200.00 deductible. They've since called and told me the truck is ready to picked up and runs great.

I'm going tommorow. I'll let you guys know.

Wilf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Walked in. Paid 200.00 and proceeded to watch the truck start and drive up running perfectly.

Thanks again for the advice.

Now on to exhaust and maybe a tune.

Wilf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts