The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you guys usually get on a set of batteries? The ones in my 03' are the factory originals. The indicators are both green, and load tested they are still putting out 12.6 volts, but immediately after starting the truck the volt guage shows 9 volts and stays there for a minute or so, then goes back up to its normal 13-14 volts.

·
411 Posts
Mine are OEM from Feb. 1, 2006. The indicators went orange about a year and a half ago or so (I'll have to search for the thread here, same subject). I'll probably replace them in a month or so with Duralast Golds.

Al

·
85 Posts
One of mine is original (truck is an 03) I replace the other one about a year and a half ago, I went out to my truck this morning and it was dead...ended up taking my Bronco to work. I'll mess with it this evening, but I'm pretty sure it's the battery.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies.

Tav, what happened to the one battery that you had to replace it?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I replaced mine in feb. So stock batterys lasted from oct 02 (build date) till feb 09
What caused you to replace them? Where they failing or was it preventative?

·
85 Posts
was the one the pass side? When they start to run low, that one seems to cook. You should replace in pairs by the way.
No it was the one on the drivers side...hard to say what happened. That's the only problem with getting a used truck, you never really know it's history. I would have replaced both at once but couldn't justify getting rid of a perfectly good battery but the cost at the time was more than I could really afford.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies guys.

So I'm gathering that 6 years is generally the life of the stock batteries?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, this morning was scary. 30* outside here, went to start the truck up and the glow plug light came on, but nothing else. :confused: Took the key out and tried again, truck started, but cranked slowly.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to borrow my buddies load tester again, for my own curiousity, but either way I will be buying a new set soon.

·
14 Posts
You might try this...

As we all know batteries won't last forever, but a lot of people have been getting good results using the battery chargers from Battery Minder that also fight sulfation (a common cause of earlier failure)...which commonly exhibits sufficient voltage but insufficient amperage. I don't know if this will help your problem, but it is a lot cheaper than buying new batteries if it works.

The website is: www.batteryminders.com

Here is an article on sulfation from their website: View attachment Sulfation040109Auto.pdf

Northern Tool (I was there a few hours ago) carries their smaller battery charger with the anti-sulfation feature for $39.99 (http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332201_200332201).

I have a 2009 F-250 and use the larger model to keep my batteries in top shape when not in use in hopes of making them last for 10 years.

Good luck.

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This past weekend I finely had the time (and the cash) so I headed over to the local battery store. Picked up two Interstate 800/1000 batteries, one of which is a deep cycle. Swapped them out and the truck starts with amazing ease. The stock battery blankets fit on the new batteries as well :woohoo No more waiting for the guage cluster to wake up either!

On a side note, the indicators on top where both green, but when I removed them, at the slightest vibration they turned yellow or red. :eek:

·
1,709 Posts
You got your moneys worth out of them to say the least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts