The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my 2004' 6.0L F350 back last week from Ford, had to put a brand new long block in it, thankfully under warranty. My question is, how long should you break in the new motor until adding a Tune to it?

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I don't know ... my guess was the truck was driven into a river/creek before I bought it, got stuck and sat in water as high as the block or something. The Block inside and out looked like a piece of Iron that had been in salt water for years ... The inside of the cylinders had so much rust damage there was no way to repair it; the cylinders were pitted so much from rust flakes coming off over time that a bore/hone would have to be done well past tolerances. Wish I had pictures, I was amazed.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just a FYI. When I had my 03' SVT Cobra a tech said to try and drive it normal for about 3,500 miles before whompin on it. I know it's a gasser, but a motor none the less

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That I know ... after the new motor I let it warm up for 2 minutes, cooldown for 2 minutes, and don't go over 2.5K rpm.

·
103 Posts
Demonic

How long ago did you buy your Truck. If you bought it after Hurricane Katrina then you might have gotten a refurbished truck. I have heard that there is a lot of vehicles that have been refurbished and resold by shady used car dealers. If you did get one of those trucks you might want to consider getting a different truck because I am sure there are more problems to come.

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ffbellah said:
Demonic

How long ago did you buy your Truck. If you bought it after Hurricane Katrina then you might have gotten a refurbished truck. I have heard that there is a lot of vehicles that have been refurbished and resold by shady used car dealers. If you did get one of those trucks you might want to consider getting a different truck because I am sure there are more problems to come.

Bought it november last year, don't think anything else could go wrong. New Engine (long Block), New Trans, New internals in axles. All covered under warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
wait until all the wiring rots from the inside out. I sunk a 2001 landcruiser, ran fine for 2 years then all the wiring shorted from internal water damage. just my 2 cents. ps the insurance co totaled the truck over it!

·
88 Posts
Well I would wait awhile for sure, sense you got a rebuilt motor never know what could go wrong ( there rebuilt motors are know to have quality issues) and if something didn't get put back together right.

Would hate to see no warranty cuz you put a SCT on before a problem might pop up because of other issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts