The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i definatley want a LB7 but i dont want to get into a beefy tranny

i was thinking an intake, turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude....... will this adventually hurt the tranny or can it hold it

thanks guys

·
Registered
95 Posts
well as unless you are building for pretty much all out racing an intake is pretty much a waste of money,for the gains you get. best H.P. gains for the money stick with an after market exhaust i have the stainless magnaflow from the down pipe back and i love it not to noisey running down the highway at 75-85 mph and just enough when you are on the throttle to let people know not to mess with ya. and get a decent programer from what i hear the edge is good i use the diadlo predator sport and its easy to use you can do quite a bit with it once you set it up the download times are super fast and it is one of the very few that put the advertised horse to the ground. the trans will handle most of the programers up to 85-90 addtional horse power but any more than that and you will need to up grade the trans.

·
diesel idiot
360 Posts
If you live in a place where it heats up alot in the summer or pull a heavy trailer a good intake like an S&B or the kind Killer Bee makes will cool things down significantly when your truck is under load. But it offers virtually no gain on the horsepower side of things. As far as a tuner I agree with slam^50 that under a 100 horspower is alright without tranny upgrades. Good luck and have fun.

·
TDG Junior Mafia #61
622 Posts
100 RWHP over stock is the max

·
239 Posts
GM4ever said:
i definatley want a LB7 but i dont want to get into a beefy tranny

i was thinking an intake, turbo back exhaust, and edge with attitude....... will this adventually hurt the tranny or can it hold it

thanks guys
The edge juice with att. monitor is a good call for a stock tranny. It will defuel for a stock drivetrain, which always helps. Add about a 100 horsepower and will help with fuel economy if you can keep out of it.

·
3,754 Posts
100 horse is what I hear, but mainly monitor temps, and dont go out and do burn outs, etc. Taht kind of stuff is hard on stock components let alone when you modify. If you use the horoses sesibly, keep your load moving on a hill etc you shouldnt have aproblem if you go out and play you will pay.

·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well that really helps guys
thank you very much

and what about Efi Live is that better than Edge w attitude??
and why

·
Registered
95 Posts
well EFI is good but there is quite a learning curve and if you are not familar with how to program or very computer wise i would go with something like diablo preadtor, i am not all that familar with the Edge so i cant really give any sound advice on that subject,but as you have probably figured out everyone has their own preferences as far as programers and basicaly it comes down to you doin your own reserch and goin with the one you think will best serve your needs,diablo will pretty much give you the gains you are looking for and like i have said before its really easy to use and download times are super fast and you can do allsorts of stuff with it. read , trouble shoot and clear codes,moniter engine performance fuel psi injector info,mph,engine and tranny temps and so on its a pretty good all around programer for the money. and if you ever run in to trouble with something with it their customer service is top of the line. but thats just my opion and you will have to decide for you self what you want to get.

·
3,754 Posts
Efi live you make yoru own "tunes" ie program's everyhting is customizeable. YOu ahve to be somewheat savvy and willing ot play if you go w/efi live. Other programmers such as edge, etc have their own programs, you cant change or nothign, you just pick 1-6 (or wahtever) and they correspond to a power level, depending on what number you pick the program changes, timeing pulse etc. W/efi live you set your own timing and pulse width etc. If you really dont know bunches edge etc are bettter and safer. You can get tunes pre made for efi live. If you think your gonna learn a buch about tuning and duramaxes and you want something in the future customizeble. Get the efi live now, and start out with some tunes that somone else made and as you start learnign you can start making your own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ppe xcellerator hot+2

ppe xcellerator hot+2 has that defueling system that when ever it shifts it defuels and keep the trans from sliping and is alot easier on it. could i stick with stock or do i still have to do work on the trany

·
3,939 Posts
The rule of thumb on a stock Allison has been "no more than +100rwhp". Do some people get away with more? Yes. But its not recommended.

Building the trans is the door you have to go through to get to bigger power.

If this were a 650hp (~500rwhp) gasser, think how much you'd have to put into the engine to make that number, then how much you'd have to spend on the trans/driveline. In the end, it all balances out price-wise.

The nice caveat to building the diesel, though, is that at those power levels, the truck is still streetable!

·
Registered
111 Posts
We ran the pulling truck with a PPE hot +2 set on 200 horse stock and the allison was still holding very strong, even when we pulled it. It slipped third gear some but that was when we were pulling it sooo I think you would definitely be alright on the street with it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts