The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 f 250 powerstroke turbo and im still thinking of which tuner to buy, the banks six gun with pda or the sct.How much hp would the sct give to my truck, and torque. The banks people say that it will give my truck 135 to 155hp and 385 of torque guaranteed. What do you guys think and how much does the sct give. I would like to have as much hp and torque as possible, but safely when needed. What I like about the sct that it has the economy mode, but how much does it save on your guys truck. What I like about the banks is the pda and the hp and torque . The power and the system, but dont really like the sct programmer , because of the little rectangle shape programer, like hypertheck and other tuners, but I know that doesnt really matter, what matters is the tuner right.?:smoke :smoke The banks six gun with pda is just to expensive .$1,100 for my o6 powerstroke 250

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
pretty sure on a 6L the power #s are Supposed to be somethin like 138 horse and 246 torque over stock....website should have more info. i actually have a banks six gun w/speedloader and gauges as listed in my sig. if your interested pm me and ill give ya a good deal!

oh, and btw...the sct does give more power, banks is pretty strong though..sct is better if your plannin on doing a lot of custom mods like sticks, turbo, etc. and if you do add a lot, you pretty much need an sct to custom tune it and to shift wortha crap, but if your just doing intake exhaust and program, banks is good and safe too IMO!

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
If you want big numbers on the rollers, SCT may not be the best thing to suit your needs.

If you want durability and absolutely superior driveability, then SCT is the only choice.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
the only thing im still not caring for about the sct which maybe somethings wrong, i dunno....but with my banks system, i could feel the power growing and driving down the road rolling the throttle, power steadily grew, etc. however with my sct is you drive easy it drives almost like stock but a little better, then you push down just a little more to pass and its all of a sudden takes off like a rocket....its like theres no inbetween....is it supposed to be like that? its like its all or nothing, the sct hands down seems more powerful, but the banks seemed more "streetable" if you will...

·
Obviously Intuitive !
1,417 Posts
DO a search - couple of threads about banks shifting.... both went to sct if I recall and like it....

WHile Banks has a GREAT marketing dept - I would be cynical of their claims....
look at the 6L shootout threads and comparisons of the tuners....

SCT all the way !

A 57% here say:
http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5598

·
Registered
91 Posts
that rocket surge can be tuned out just tell the tuner what you want and they can tune to your hearts content. With SCT its all about your personal settings not canned.

·
497 Posts
most everyone on fordtruckworld.com runs the sct and says that they are the way to go

·
Quarry trash
137 Posts
Totally stock truck only minor mods listed in my sig. look at my numbers

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
so thats what its called huh? rocket surge? makes sense! thats what it feels like. i did tell tadd i wanted the power to be more throughout instead of all or nothing. i got a new file last night and just ran down the road and back, no rocket surge, but not Near as fast either...havent drove it much yet, im gonna give it another shot, but im feelin some more tweaking! anybody have tadds tune on an 03-04 to run around in town and travel with thats good and strong with not as much "rocket surge" for me i like to have that power when i get down on her...but it takes off at around half throttle when your just speeding up a little bit to pass or somethin.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
it may be as strong as the other file, but it may not feel as fast because the power doesnt come on all at once like the other one. i bet that is the reason.

·
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So banks gives more hp and torque. I saw that it gives 155hp and 385 of torque.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Lee boy said:
So banks gives more hp and torque. I saw that it gives 155hp and 385 of torque.
No banks doesnt. You WILL NOT see those numbers from anything banks. Its junk. Those claims are highly....very very very highly exagerated. The SCT will give you by far the most power, thats the bottom line.

·
TDG Mafia Member#67
5,655 Posts
OK, to clear up confusion...i dont think banks is Junk. For someone who isnt going to drag race, watch their gauges religiously, etc. banks is the way to go IMO. however if you want to fix it up, drag race, etc. sct. Also, pretty sure those power #s are for a duramax, not 6L. 6L calls for 138 horse and 248 torque above stock with the speed loader. BTW, sidenote, i tried out tadds high power file again (which is Not his highest power file) and it drives like and feels about like the banks does on its highest setting and he calls for 120 horse on that tune.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
6L strokin said:
OK, to clear up confusion...i dont think banks is Junk. For someone who isnt going to drag race, watch their gauges religiously, etc. banks is the way to go IMO. however if you want to fix it up, drag race, etc. sct. Also, pretty sure those power #s are for a duramax, not 6L. 6L calls for 138 horse and 248 torque above stock with the speed loader. BTW, sidenote, i tried out tadds high power file again (which is Not his highest power file) and it drives like and feels about like the banks does on its highest setting and he calls for 120 horse on that tune.
Even if you dont drag race banks is very expensive(you could just get someone to write safe tunes) for one thing, and the other why would you trust a company that claims it will give you a certain hp when it doesnt? As for tadds hipower file it should rip that banks away, might be something wrong with your truck or you got the wrong file.

·
1,130 Posts
Ok... Banks is playing a marketing game....

They claim 137.8 HP and 231.3 lb-ft over stock. But that is at BEST GAIN.

Peak HP gain is 115.7HP and 223.6 lb-ft over stock PEAK

Banks makes a Claim of 384.4 Peak HP and 690.6 Peak torque. If you read the 6.0L shootout, there are several choices that put down bigger numbers than that.

On edit: Banks stock numbers of 268.7 HP and 467.0 lbs-ft are very close to the stock numbers for the shootout. The shoot out truck dunoed at 278.9hp and 454.4lbs-ft.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
tgatch said:
Ok... Banks is playing a marketing game....

They claim 137.8 HP and 231.3 lb-ft over stock. But that is at BEST GAIN.

Peak HP gain is 115.7HP and 223.6 lb-ft over stock PEAK

Banks makes a Claim of 384.4 Peak HP and 690.6 Peak torque. If you read the 6.0L shootout, there are several choices that put down bigger numbers than that.

On edit: Banks stock numbers of 268.7 HP and 467.0 lbs-ft are very close to the stock numbers for the shootout. The shoot out truck dunoed at 278.9hp and 454.4lbs-ft.
The best gain is if you buy the intercooler, exhaust, intake, six gun, speed loader, pda, intake elbow, etc.. etc...
This doesnt even include the cold air intake :shrug:
Big Hoss® Bundle MODEL YEAR MSRP Your Price You Save!
Big Hoss Bundle, split-dual exh. F-250/350 | Ext cab, short bed 2005-07
MSRP>>>>>Your Price >You Save!
$3,521.05>>$3,345.00>>$176.05 TOTALLY WORTH IT!!! LOL

Wish there was a smiley that was acting like he was spankin it...:poke:

·
1,130 Posts
No best gain is they are quoting the Best HP gain somewhere on the HP and torque curve.

Rear-Wheel Horsepower:
Best gain
236.2 hp
(3600 rpm)

374.0 hp
(3600 rpm)

If the SCT tuners did the same marketing they could claim 400HP over stock if they used 3850 RPMs LOL ..

Like I said it is a marketing gimick. Find the spot on the HP/Torque curve where you make the most HP/Torque over stock and make that your claimed HP/torque increase.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts