The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get a discount on tires and wheels and lifts through my dealership, so i figure i'm going to go all out. do i need a 6" or 8" for 38" tires?

·
242 Posts
to run a 38x15.5 ur going to need at least an 8inch and shim out the front bumper....

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my shop foreman is telling me i can get away with 6" but i wasn't sure.
anyone out there have pics of there setup?

·
382 Posts
SUCK-SQUEEZE-BANG-BLOW said:
my shop foreman is telling me i can get away with 6" but i wasn't sure.
anyone out there have pics of there setup?
i have a 6 1/2" with 35x14.50 and there is not enough room for 38" tires they would hit the bumper the frame and the inner fender well. i wanna go to 38's i am going to go with an 8" lift.

·
161 Posts
i have a 8" on 38x15.50x16.5. look in my gallery

·
2,334 Posts
platnium i dont know what you got going but joe (csipsd) swings 37's with a 6" and so does his wife (cdiesel) and i will be too...

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
platinum01 said:
i have a 6 1/2" with 35x14.50 and there is not enough room for 38" tires they would hit the bumper the frame and the inner fender well. i wanna go to 38's i am going to go with an 8" lift.
i can't find your gallery? do you have a link?
thanks,
-Q-

·
161 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
What rim are you planning to run. That size requires 12" wide to properly load the tire. With that said to clear 38's on a 12" rim you will need 10" to not hit if you plan to flex the suspension. Now depending on the brand of lift you may need more. My DR kit moves the front axle forward 2" and this keeps the tire fron hitting the rear of the fender. Look in my pictures for a link to my gallery to get an idea of what 10.5 with 38" PJ's on 16 x 12 wheels looks like.

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
brietwyk said:

your truck is f'in sweet! thta's pretty much what i'm going for except with 20x12 kmc diesels. we have similar paint jobs as well. mine's green on top not black.

What rim are you planning to run. That size requires 12" wide to properly load the tire. With that said to clear 38's on a 12" rim you will need 10" to not hit if you plan to flex the suspension. Now depending on the brand of lift you may need more. My DR kit moves the front axle forward 2" and this keeps the tire fron hitting the rear of the fender. Look in my pictures for a link to my gallery to get an idea of what 10.5 with 38" PJ's on 16 x 12 wheels looks like.

i don't plan on doing any serious off roading if any at all, so i'm not too concerned with suspension flex. maybe open fields or mud pits, definitely the beach though.

thanks guys, keep those pictures coming.

-Q-

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BRIETWYK, did you have to change your ring and pinion? i have 3:73 rearend.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am running 38's on a 6.5in pro comp lift on my 99. I had to put 1/2in wheel spacers to keep the tires from rubbing the leaf springs.the back of my fender is bent a little from some pretty serious off roading .If i had it to do over i would have went with the 8in lift.Ialso have 3.73 gears. my truck did fine until i bought a tuner from DP-tuner.I smoked the factory clutch the first week i had it.If you put4.56 gears in your truck it will return it to the factory gearing.Thats my next mod. to by.If you buy a new clutch don't go cheep like i did.Spend the money and get a luk or a south bend. You will regret it if you don't.

·
461 Posts
do you like your fender? if not just trim that chit. there's nothing behind it on the back side and the front is just the bumper. Keep the curve that's there and move it out 2 or 3 inches and throw some fender flares on there. Add some correct backspacing and you're good to go.

·
161 Posts
SUCK-SQUEEZE-BANG-BLOW said:
BRIETWYK, did you have to change your ring and pinion? i have 3:73 rearend.

I havnt but im regretting it right now, i have 3.73's aswell. I lost a good chunk of power, I probably will in the near future.
I was looking at the KMC diesels before i got these tires, they are pretty sweet, next go around they might be going on.

I did trim my bumper a little bit, the wheel well, and a little metal that was behind the wheel well. youll know what im talking about when you put the tires on and turn. Best way iv found to do it is get a pencil and color your wheel well, bumper, and that piece of metal, and how ever far back the lead was erased is how far you need to trim.
hope this helps

·
140 Posts
I've got a 99, and I'm running a 12" lift w/ 38.5s. I heard that you can go w/ a 9" and clear, but you could have some clearance problems. It also depends on which spring you go with. I am using Atlas front and rear. They flex more that others. I would also make sure to get a rim w/ 4.5" back spacing. That will help your turning radius.

Sean

Attachments

·
TDG Singles Club #120
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if i can get the diesels in 12" width, i'll probably go with that. if not 20x10 i think will work. if it turns out to be too much of a price difference between the 6" kit and the 8" kit i'll probably go with a 6" with 37x13.50x20.
i should get the prices this week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sounds like a good selection to me.:Thumbup:

·
140 Posts
I have a 6" Donahoe kit on my X w/ 35s, and I think that 37s would be tight. I'm also looking at the 766 diesels w/ the black centers, but they are back ordered. I will go w/ the 20X10.

Sean

1 - 20 of 28 Posts