The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the one im looking at has the 427 in it the motor and trany i want to put in it with a dirffernt cab the engine and trany are 2500 pounds

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
like this one just looking at the frame for a swap
replacing one that's twisted or broken? Used to straighten a lot of wracked frames in those trucks. Too light for dump work but farmers sure used and abused them.

·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no i want the frame for older ih truck that i want to build with a diesel motor in it just want the newer brakes and steering but my motor and trany is 2500 pounds it will be just a toy

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
no i want the frame for older ih truck that i want to build with a diesel motor in it just want the newer brakes and steering but my motor and trany is 2500 pounds it will be just a toy
It should be a ladder frame type assembly. They are strong is kept loaded envenly. It was the off center dumping that would put them down in a hurry. Sticking grain was a big contibutor to this. Being stuck in a field loaded and yanked out by a tractor was another.
If the steer axle width is not too wide for your application it will work fine.

·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
r190 cab but the front end is driffernt it was a fire truck it was a 4x4 thanks i thought it should be strought enought for me as long as i can find taller gears for the rear end thanks for your help

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
r190 cab but the front end is driffernt it was a fire truck it was a 4x4 thanks i thought it should be strought enought for me as long as i can find taller gears for the rear end thanks for your help
If you could explain your project a little more I may be able to help you further.

I gather you want to use IH "R" line sheet metal on a GM later model frame, using a diesel engine and trans? Are you wanting to retain the 4X4 layout? I'm quite familiar with both series of trucks as I was repairing both types when in service regularly.

·
1,224 Posts
how much weight can a c70 front axle carry or what are they rated for thanks
My 79 GMC 7000 (same as Chev C70) has a 9000 lb axle rating. Of course its been known to carry moreLOL. Came with diesel and now has a different diesel.

·
1,224 Posts
replacing one that's twisted or broken? Used to straighten a lot of wracked frames in those trucks. Too light for dump work but farmers sure used and abused them.
Farmers abuse:eek: their equipment:roflol::roflol:. lets see..a 27500 gvw flat bed truck loaded at 32,000+......nevermind:shrugs

·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes i no i have a dodge dokota i had 2200 pounds on it

i have a 671t detroit diesel it was out of a fire truck that has 64000 miles on it with a 5spd none overdrive, i want to try to use the c70 frame or some thing like that for better steering and brakes, i have a r190 ih cab that was a fire truck it has a long hood the hood is over 50 inches and the fire wall is set back from stock should fit, it will be only 2 wheel drive go to truck shows

must people ask why a detroit diesel i grow up with them and like them i got the motor and trany for 900.00

i also found a set of jake brakes for it i just like the sound of them drove one for quit awile

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I've seen several GMC products with a 1/4 ton rated heavier steer axle over it's Chevrolet counterpart. Used to be commonplace for this to occur.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
yes i no i have a dodge dokota i had 2200 pounds on it

i have a 671t detroit diesel it was out of a fire truck that has 64000 miles on it with a 5spd none overdrive, i want to try to use the c70 frame or some thing like that for better steering and brakes, i have a r190 ih cab that was a fire truck it has a long hood the hood is over 50 inches and the fire wall is set back from stock should fit, it will be only 2 wheel drive go to truck shows

must people ask why a detroit diesel i grow up with them and like them i got the motor and trany for 900.00

i also found a set of jake brakes for it i just like the sound of them drove one for quit awile
Nuthin wrong with a Detroit two cycle. I kinda like them myself with a set of ear plugs........

Both IH, and GM used a straight rail frame very near 34" outside diameter through the years. If you are planning to build an IH on a GM frame you will need to remove the cab and front sheet metal mounts from the original frame to install onto the donor, or cut and splice the frames together. You could also remove what you need from the GM and install onto the IH frame. I've not worked on a 4X4 setup on medium duty trucks much and assume this is a Napco, (sp) conversion? If you existing frame is in decent shape, it would be easier to locate a later model truck with the same spring perch spacing and just swap the steer axle.

I wouldn't use that trans however. An RT-910 Fuller is a 25% split evenly through all the gears and is both easy to shift, and very forgiving. It is an older transmission and therefore not expensive. The only drawback was a relatively fast, (for me) back up speed with a short trailer. With a straight truck, no problem.

·
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea would be nice to find one but they are getting harder to findi drove truck for 10 years drove 13spd and 10 spd even drove a mack 5 and a 4 dopleax peace of s---t i also found a ax box 3pd or a 4spd one

1 - 17 of 17 Posts